1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question about significant digits

1. Sep 8, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A 2.6 kg mass hangs at one end of a rope that is attached to a support on a railroad car. When the car accelerates to the right, the rope makes an angle of 8.5° with the vertical, as shown in Figure P4.68. Find the acceleration of the car.

2. Relevant equations
    (Fnet)x=max
    (Fnet)y=may

3. The attempt at a solution

(Fnet)y=may
    Tcos8.5-mg=0
    T=(2.6 x 9.8)/cos 8.5
    T=25.76

(Fnet)x=max
    Tsin8.5=max
    Tsin8.5/2.6=ax
    ax=25.76 sin 8.5/2.6
    ax=1.5

NOW HERE'S MY PROBLEM:

I am doing homework on webassign.net and it is very picky about the significant digits in your answer. So far I've put in: 1.5, 1.4, 1.46, and 1.47.

I get 6 tries, which is frusturating because I know I solved it correctly, I just don't know how many significant digits. I assumed I would have 2 significant digits and the answer would be 1.5 because all the given values have 2 significant digits. If someone could help me figure it out, I would appreciate it.

Also (reason for edit): When I put in 1.5 and 1.4 I got this response:
    Your answer is within 10% of the correct value. This may be due to roundoff error, or you could have a mistake in your calculation. Carry out all intermediate results to at least four-digit accuracy to minimize roundoff error. m/s2

However, when I bring it out to 1.46 or 1.47 I don't get that message.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 8, 2007 #2
    Nevermind! I put in 1.465 and it worked.

How frusturating though.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?