Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Question about significant digits

1. Sep 8, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A 2.6 kg mass hangs at one end of a rope that is attached to a support on a railroad car. When the car accelerates to the right, the rope makes an angle of 8.5° with the vertical, as shown in Figure P4.68. Find the acceleration of the car.

2. Relevant equations
    (Fnet)x=max
    (Fnet)y=may

3. The attempt at a solution

(Fnet)y=may
    Tcos8.5-mg=0
    T=(2.6 x 9.8)/cos 8.5
    T=25.76

(Fnet)x=max
    Tsin8.5=max
    Tsin8.5/2.6=ax
    ax=25.76 sin 8.5/2.6
    ax=1.5

NOW HERE'S MY PROBLEM:

I am doing homework on webassign.net and it is very picky about the significant digits in your answer. So far I've put in: 1.5, 1.4, 1.46, and 1.47.

I get 6 tries, which is frusturating because I know I solved it correctly, I just don't know how many significant digits. I assumed I would have 2 significant digits and the answer would be 1.5 because all the given values have 2 significant digits. If someone could help me figure it out, I would appreciate it.

Also (reason for edit): When I put in 1.5 and 1.4 I got this response:
    Your answer is within 10% of the correct value. This may be due to roundoff error, or you could have a mistake in your calculation. Carry out all intermediate results to at least four-digit accuracy to minimize roundoff error. m/s2

However, when I bring it out to 1.46 or 1.47 I don't get that message.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 8, 2007 #2
    Nevermind! I put in 1.465 and it worked.

How frusturating though.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook