1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Terminal Speed for Skier Going Down Slope

1. Sep 27, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

What is the terminal speed for an 75.0kg skier going down a 35.0∘ snow-covered slope on wooden skis μk= 0.060?

Assume that the skier is 1.60m tall and 0.300m wide.

Express your answer using two significant figures with the appropriate units.

Area skier = A = (1.60m x 0.300m) = .48 m^2

2. Relevant equations

D = (1/4)A*v^2
    Fnet = D

3. The attempt at a solution

(mgsinθ) - (μk*mgcosθ) = (1/4)A*v^2

=> vterminal = sqrt((4((mgsinθ) - (μk*mgcosθ))) /A )

vterminal = sqrt((4((75.0 * 9.80 * sin(35)) - (.060 * 75.0 * 9.80 * cos(35))))/.48)

vterminal = 56.68 m/s = 57 m/s (rounded to 2 sig figs)

Mastering Physics says that this answer is wrong but I cannot find my error. I have checked over the problem and my solution about a dozen times. I figure more experienced eyes may help find my ruinous mistake. Thank you! :)

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 27, 2013 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Your work looks good to me. The data in the problem is given to 3 significant figures. Maybe you are supposed to keep 3 sig figs in the answer. Don't know.

4. Sep 27, 2013 #3
    Thanks for double checking for me, I really appreciate it. :)

I actually tried submitting it with 3 sig figs as well but it said it was wrong. I am going to email my professor and see if they can take a look.

5. Sep 27, 2013 #4

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I believe this equation for drag force assumes a spherical shape for the drag coefficient (C_drag = about 0.5) . If the skier is standing more or less upright rather tham curled up like a ball, the drag coefficient is higher, and thus the terminal speed will be less. The quadratic drag force is actually 1/2(C_drag)ρ(A)v^2, where ρ is the air density(about 1.2 kg/m^3), and C_drag for a flat exposed surface might be more like 1.0 or so.
    When I last went snow tubing, I knew my speed was much faster when lying back instead of sitting up. And faster than that when going with my grandkids 2 or more per tube and faster than that with several tube loads of kids hooked together in a lying down position! What a rush!

6. Sep 28, 2013 #5
    It looks like you were right, PhantomJay. I should have seen this before but I didn't check my units. The answer is as follows:

sqrt((2mg/ACp)*(sinθ-μkcosθ))

If you do it this way then you get all of the correct units (m/s) in the end after taking the square root. I used the following:

p (rho) = 1.2 kg/m^3
    m = 75.0 kg
    g = 9.80 m/s^2
    θ = 35 degrees
    μk = 0.060
    C = 0.8

When you plug all of these into the equation you get a terminal velocity of v = 41 m/s (to 2 significant figures), which is the correct answer.

The only thing I am still unclear on is why we use a drag co-efficient of C = 0.8, which closely resembles a cylinder falling end-down, instead of a drag co-efficient of C = 1.1, which closely resembles a cyclinder falling side-down. I feel like a skier standing upright is affected by drag more similarly to the side of a cylinder than the bottom of one. Perhaps it has to do with the fact that they are falling at an angle? I don't know.

Anyways, thank you all for your help! :)

7. Mar 14, 2016 #6
    Thank you So much Sir/Madam, i tried a thousand times, spent an hour and 15 mins trying, but failing. Thank you again!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted