Question about solving ODE with Complex eigenvalue

In summary, there is a difference between the general solution generated by MAPLE and the one obtained using Euler's formula. This is because the general solution assumes f(x) to be complex and the constants C1 and C2 to also be complex. However, if we want f(x) to be a real function, the constants A1 and A2 must be real, which is equivalent to C1 and C2 being complex conjugates. This results in a real general solution.
nufeng
For example,
ODE: y'' + y = 0
solve this problem using MAPLE
f(x) = _C1*sin(x)+_C2*cos(x)

My question is Eigenvalue for D^2+1=0 is +i, -i
so general solution is f(x) = C1*exp(i*x)+C2*exp(-i*x)
according to Euler's formula f(x) = C1( cos(x)+i*sin(x) ) + C2*( cos(x)-i*sin(x) )
it is different from the general solution generated by MAPLE
why?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Your solution is the general solution assuming f(x) is complex, and your constants C1 and C2 are also complex. You can rearrange it as
f(x) = (C1 + C2) cos(x) + i (C1 - C2) sin(x)
or
f(x) = A1 cos(x) + A2 sin(x)
wherne A1 and A2 are complex constants.
If course if you want to restrict f(x) to be a real function, A1 and A2 must be real. That condition is the equivalent to C1 and C2 being complex conjugates, so that C1 + C2 is real and C1 - C2 is imaginary.

AlephZero, thank you! Really helpful!

AlephZero said:
Your solution is the general solution assuming f(x) is complex, and your constants C1 and C2 are also complex. You can rearrange it as
f(x) = (C1 + C2) cos(x) + i (C1 - C2) sin(x)
or
f(x) = A1 cos(x) + A2 sin(x)
wherne A1 and A2 are complex constants.
If course if you want to restrict f(x) to be a real function, A1 and A2 must be real. That condition is the equivalent to C1 and C2 being complex conjugates, so that C1 + C2 is real and C1 - C2 is imaginary.

1. What is an ODE?

An ODE (ordinary differential equation) is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between an unknown function and its derivatives. It is commonly used to model various physical systems in science and engineering.

2. What is a complex eigenvalue?

A complex eigenvalue is a number that, when multiplied by a vector, produces a scaled version of that vector. In the context of solving ODEs, complex eigenvalues are important because they represent the behavior of the system over time.

3. How do you solve an ODE with complex eigenvalues?

To solve an ODE with complex eigenvalues, you first need to find the eigenvalues and eigenvectors of the system. Then, you can use these values to construct a general solution to the ODE, which will involve complex numbers and exponential functions.

4. Why are complex eigenvalues important in solving ODEs?

Complex eigenvalues provide valuable information about the behavior of a system over time. They can indicate stability or instability of a system, as well as the presence of oscillations or damping effects. Solving for complex eigenvalues allows us to gain a deeper understanding of the dynamics of a system.

5. What are some applications of solving ODEs with complex eigenvalues?

ODEs with complex eigenvalues have many applications in science and engineering. For example, they are commonly used to model electrical circuits, chemical reactions, and mechanical systems. They are also important in fields such as quantum mechanics and signal processing.