Question about stellar nucleosynthesis from a non-expert

In summary, this conversation covers the fact that less than 10 billion years of star birth, life, and death is necessary to produce the heaviest occurring natural elements. It is stated that the primary nucleosynthesis process for these elements is the r-process, which is a process that can occur even in a star initially of pure H and He. However, the hypothesis of Cf powering supernovae was not confirmed when checked, and it is now attributed to Ni-56 instead.
CPW
Given that the universe is 13.8 billion years old and our solar system is 4.6 billion years old, less than 10 billion years of star birth, life, and death is necessary to produce the heaviest occurring natural elements. Given what we know about supernova, what is the minimum number of supernova required to produce the element uranium?

Astronomy news on Phys.org

Likes Bystander and davenn
Wow! That's quite remarkable. Thanks for your reply.

Reading the wikipedia article about the r-process leades me to believe that uranium is mostly produced by merging neutron stars, not core collapse supernovae. Anyone have any comments about this?

It's probably right. Just not the question that was asked.

Looks like the answer is in fact 1, as mentioned above. Rationale, from Wikipedia:

"The creation of free neutrons by electron capture during the rapid collapse to high density of a supernova core along with quick assembly of some neutron-rich seed nuclei makes the r-process a primary nucleosynthesis process, meaning a process that can occur even in a star initially of pure H and He, ..."

dtowne said:
Looks like the answer is in fact 1, as mentioned above. Rationale, from Wikipedia:

"The creation of free neutrons by electron capture during the rapid collapse to high density of a supernova core along with quick assembly of some neutron-rich seed nuclei makes the r-process a primary nucleosynthesis process, meaning a process that can occur even in a star initially of pure H and He, ..."
Is there any evidence that this actually happens?
As in, r-process elements actually observed in supernova spectrum, and elements plainly showing they are newly formed (past curium)?

Yes, heavy elements show up in supernova spectra all the time. Basically the first search result that I got was http://adsabs.harvard.edu/full/1956PASP...68..296B, and I know I've seen others.

Whether or not those are stars that were initially "pure H and He" I don't know, but there's a reasonable probability you could find out if you dig. There's lots of information on this; supernova are rather well studied.

dtowne said:
Yes, heavy elements show up in supernova spectra all the time. Basically the first search result that I got was http://adsabs.harvard.edu/full/1956PASP...68..296B, and I know I've seen others.
Except the hypothesis of Cf powering supernovae was not confirmed when checked, and it is now attributed to Ni-56 instead.

1. What is stellar nucleosynthesis?

Stellar nucleosynthesis is the process by which elements are created in the cores of stars through nuclear reactions. This process is responsible for the formation of all elements heavier than hydrogen and helium.

2. How does stellar nucleosynthesis occur?

Stellar nucleosynthesis occurs through two main processes: fusion and neutron capture. Fusion is the process of combining lighter elements to form heavier elements, while neutron capture is the process of adding neutrons to existing elements to create heavier isotopes.

3. What elements are created through stellar nucleosynthesis?

The elements created through stellar nucleosynthesis include all elements up to iron, which is the heaviest element that can be formed through fusion. Elements heavier than iron are created through neutron capture in the cores of massive stars or during supernova explosions.

4. How does the age of a star affect stellar nucleosynthesis?

The age of a star is a key factor in determining the elements that are created through stellar nucleosynthesis. Younger stars, which have not yet undergone significant nuclear reactions, have a higher abundance of lighter elements. Older stars, on the other hand, have a higher abundance of heavier elements due to the accumulation of elements through fusion and neutron capture over time.

5. How does stellar nucleosynthesis contribute to the formation of our solar system?

The elements created through stellar nucleosynthesis in previous generations of stars were recycled and incorporated into the gas and dust clouds that eventually formed our solar system. This means that the elements that make up our planet, including the essential elements for life, were created through stellar nucleosynthesis in other stars billions of years ago.