Question about tap water in Dallas

• Thread starter alteredmind
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Water
In summary, if you drink water with mercury or lead in it, it can mess up your brain and/or body. However, if the level is low enough, it won't have a harmful effect. If the level is high, you can die.
alteredmind
What are the facts about water, if I drink water that has mercury in it or led, can it mess up your brain and/or body? also if I drink running water compared to water that has sat in a water bottle for months or more is there a difference and will that effect my body?

Last edited:
Chemistry news on Phys.org
Yes, mercury and lead are dangerous. Note however that it is a dose that makes the poison - some levels are perfectly acceptable.

I see no question in your second statement.

Borek said:
Yes, mercury and lead are dangerous. Note however that it is a dose that makes the poison - some levels are perfectly acceptable.

I see no question in your second statement.

what levels are exeptable? and shouldn't there be no mercury or led in there at all. also is bottled water that remained in a bottle for a while or more then a month, relate to my first post please.

I edited my post, see my first post again.

alteredmind said:
what levels are exeptable?

No idea - these are defined by the gov agencies, based on the scientific research about possible health problems.

and shouldn't there be no mercury or led in there at all.

I doubt you will find a single natural source of water on the whole Earth, that will have water that is chemically pure and doesn't contain traces of every possible element. That's just the way it is. Some sources have higher concentrations, some have lower.

also is bottled water that remained in a bottle for a while or more then a month

Chemical composition of the water stored for long should not change (unless it leached something from the tank it was stored in). I would be more afraid of possible bacterial contamination, fresh tap water is typically sterilized and quite safe.

I have read, but cannot provide sources so you have to take this as purely anecdotal, that studies have shown (MUCH to my amazement which is why I remember it) that elements DO leach from plastic water bottles into the water, although over a long period of time (years, not weeks or months) and that this can be unhealthy.

I have read, but cannot provide sources so you have to take this as purely anecdotal, that studies have shown (MUCH to my amazement which is why I remember it) that elements DO leach from plastic water bottles into the water, although over a long period of time (years, not weeks or months) and that this can be unhealthy.

Are you referring to BPA - Bisphenol A. Or leaching in generl from plastics.
Polycarbonate plastics have many applications including use in some food and drink packaging, e.g., water and infant bottles, compact discs, impact-resistant safety equipment, and medical devices. Epoxy resins are used as lacquers to coat metal products such as food cans, bottle tops, and water supply pipes. Some dental sealants and composites may also contribute to BPA exposure.

The NTP has some concern for effects on the brain, behavior, and prostate gland in fetuses, infants, and children at current human exposures to bisphenol A.

The NTP has minimal concern for effects on the mammary gland and an earlier age for puberty for females in fetuses, infants, and children at current human exposures to bisphenol A.

The NTP has negligible concern that exposure of pregnant women to bisphenol A will result in fetal or neonatal mortality, birth defects, or reduced birth weight and growth in their offspring.

The NTP has negligible concern that exposure to bisphenol A will cause reproductive effects in non-occupationally exposed adults and minimal concern for workers exposed to higher levels in occupational settings.
http://www.niehs.nih.gov/health/topics/agents/sya-bpa/

Another option is to not coat bottle caps and metal water bottles or canned food containers with the resin, inviting corrosion of the metal. This can lead to leaching of the metal into the food, or produce tiny holes in the metal inviting bacteria to enter and spoil the food. In many cases this can be more hazardous to health than the leaching of a chemical from the plastic resin lining.

As always, risk of one plays off against the other.

if I were to drink the water with led or mercury in it, what would happen to my brain and body? would I die instantly?

alteredmind said:
if I were to drink the water with led or mercury in it, what would happen to my brain and body? would I die instantly?

From this article, you can see that its an accumulative effect meaning you're not going to die instantly:

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/714387

but you will get very sick after a time.

alteredmind said:

There is no simple, single answer. I told you it is dose that makes the poison. If the level is low enough, nothing will happen. If the level is high, it can kill you in a few days or weeks. If the dose is somewhere between it will lead to a chronic poisoning.

1. What is the source of tap water in Dallas?

The primary source of tap water in Dallas is the Trinity River, which supplies 85% of the city's water. The remaining 15% comes from local lakes and reservoirs.

2. Is tap water in Dallas safe to drink?

Yes, tap water in Dallas is safe to drink. It is regulated by the Texas Commission on Environmental Quality and meets or exceeds all federal and state drinking water standards.

3. Does tap water in Dallas contain fluoride?

Yes, tap water in Dallas contains fluoride. The city began fluoridation of its water supply in 1966 to help prevent tooth decay.

4. How is tap water treated in Dallas?

Tap water in Dallas undergoes a multi-step treatment process before it reaches your tap. This includes filtration, disinfection with chlorine, and corrosion control to prevent lead and other contaminants from leaching into the water.

5. Can I drink tap water in Dallas during a boil water notice?

No, it is not safe to drink tap water during a boil water notice. This notice is issued when there is a risk of contamination in the water supply, and it is important to follow the instructions given by the city until the notice is lifted.