1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Testing Question about testing out of classes

1. Oct 21, 2012 #1

WannabeNewton

Science Advisor

Hi, I have a (hopefully) quick question about testing out of certain classes in college via proficiency exams. I am currently halfway through my first semester of freshman year and my current math courses are differential geometry and LA. I took a proficiency exam to skip calc 3 and got the credit for the class but it is listed as just pass \ fail. This may seem a bit pre - mature but I would rather be safe than sorry in the future: would grad schools, in general, care that I took a proficiency exam for this class and skipped it thus having just a pass for the course and no numerical grade? I ask because course selection for next semester's classes is going to come around eventually and if this will be a problem I might as well just sign up for calc 3 for next semester. I plan on taking honors analysis II (calculus on manifolds essentially) the first semester of sophomore year (honors analysis I is a pre - req which will be taken the coming semester) so I don't know if that will make up for skipping regular calc 3 via proficiency as I have no idea how courses are evaluated by grad schools but I would really like to sort this out before it is too late. Thank you very much in advance.

EDIT: I should probably mention that I am talking about physics grad schools heh.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 21, 2012 #2

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

As long as one does well in one's 4 year program, and pass (on a P/F basis) will not matter with respect to grad school. If one did poorly in other math classes, e.g., made C or worse, then that would be an indication that one is not as proficient as one probably ought to be.

One must assess one's own proficiency since no one here at PF is familiar with one's knowledge or experience. Certainly, one could audit the course, or otherwise take it for credit.

4. Oct 21, 2012 #3

eri

It won't be a problem, but when you apply to grad schools, make it clear you tested out of the course rather than taking it pass/fail. Taking it pass/fail looks bad. Testing out looks good. Although not all schools award credit if you test out of a course.

5. Oct 21, 2012 #4

WannabeNewton

Science Advisor

Sounds good. Haha it would be pretty sucky if w\e school didn't give me credit for calc 3.

6. Oct 21, 2012 #5

WannabeNewton

Science Advisor

Thanks for the advice Astro!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook