Question about the astro imaging program ds9

In summary, the author is having trouble saving their work in a coordinate system and wants to know if anyone has any advice.
TheWonderer1
Hi there,

I am having a lot of struggles with program. I am not using this for any true kind of publication but more so we can reference material. However, it is very important that I have a coordinate system where I can plot the WCS. Whenever I try to save as a PNG or JPEG it does not function as I would expect. It basically prevents me from making either. I learned I can try to export which works at times but does not appear to have a coordinate system. Any ideas on how to deal with this issue from anyone that has experience with the program? Is it possible to create an image with a coordinate system? I am running it on a mac.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
If you can't figure it out, would a screen shot work?

Haha actually, I think that would be the best thing to do since this is time sensitive. My advisor was under the impression that screenshots aren't editable but I'm pretty positive I can fiddle around easier with a screenshot than anything being produced by ds9 right now. Also, I don't think current image states are saved which is a bummer.

Likes Dr. Courtney
TheWonderer1 said:
Haha actually, I think that would be the best thing to do since this is time sensitive. My advisor was under the impression that screenshots aren't editable but I'm pretty positive I can fiddle around easier with a screenshot than anything being produced by ds9 right now. Also, I don't think current image states are saved which is a bummer.
Screenshots are just as editable as any other image, they get saved to your desktop and you can open them in GIMP/Photoshop...

The problem with AP programs is they often do not play well with typical home computer operating systems - just my 2c worth.

1. What is the astro imaging program DS9?

The astro imaging program DS9 is a software tool used by astronomers and scientists to analyze and manipulate digital images from various telescopes and satellites. It is specifically designed for astronomical data and has a user-friendly interface with various features for data visualization and analysis.

2. Is DS9 a free program?

Yes, DS9 is a free and open-source program that can be downloaded and used by anyone. It is supported by NASA and is constantly updated with new features and bug fixes by a community of developers.

3. Can DS9 be used for all types of astronomical images?

DS9 is primarily designed for X-ray, optical, and infrared images, but it can also be used for other types of astronomical data such as radio and ultraviolet images. It supports various file formats and can handle images from different telescopes and satellites.

4. What are the main features of DS9?

DS9 has a wide range of features including image display and manipulation, data analysis tools, astronomical coordinate systems, and customization options. It also has advanced features such as image alignment and mosaic creation, spectral analysis, and 3D visualization.

5. Can DS9 be used for educational purposes?

Yes, DS9 is a great tool for educational purposes as it allows students and beginners to explore and analyze astronomical data in a user-friendly way. It is also widely used by researchers and professionals in the field of astronomy and astrophysics.