Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question about the astro imaging program ds9

1. Jul 6, 2015 #1
    Hi there,

I am having a lot of struggles with program. I am not using this for any true kind of publication but more so we can reference material. However, it is very important that I have a coordinate system where I can plot the WCS. Whenever I try to save as a PNG or JPEG it does not function as I would expect. It basically prevents me from making either. I learned I can try to export which works at times but does not appear to have a coordinate system. Any ideas on how to deal with this issue from anyone that has experience with the program? Is it possible to create an image with a coordinate system? I am running it on a mac.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 6, 2015 #2
    If you can't figure it out, would a screen shot work?

4. Jul 7, 2015 #3
    Haha actually, I think that would be the best thing to do since this is time sensitive. My advisor was under the impression that screenshots aren't editable but I'm pretty positive I can fiddle around easier with a screenshot than anything being produced by ds9 right now. Also, I don't think current image states are saved which is a bummer.

5. Jul 7, 2015 #4
    Screenshots are just as editable as any other image, they get saved to your desktop and you can open them in GIMP/Photoshop...

6. Jul 9, 2015 #5

Chronos

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The problem with AP programs is they often do not play well with typical home computer operating systems - just my 2c worth.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook