Center of Image - Brightness Distribution

In summary: Ok, but can you shed any light on the d2θ? I would have understood dθ as just the usual integration notation.
BOAS
Hello,

I am reading a review on weak gravitational lensing (https://arxiv.org/pdf/astro-ph/0509252.pdf) and they define the center of an image as follows:

$$\vec \theta_c = \frac{\int d^2 \theta I(\vec \theta) q_I [I(\vec \theta)] \vec \theta}{\int d^2 \theta I(\theta) q_I[I(\vec \theta)]}$$

where ##I(\vec \theta)## is the brightness distribution of an image isolated in the sky and ##q_I(I)## is some weight function.

I am having some trouble seeing that this does indeed define the center of an image and was hoping someone could help me see it.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
BOAS said:
trouble seeing that this does indeed define the center of an image
It looks like a standard weighted average formula, ##\bar x=\frac{\int f(x)x.dx}{\int f(x).dx}##, where f(x) is the weight function. Just the same as finding the centroid of a lamina.
If your question is how they get that weighting function then I am hampered by not knowing how to interpret d2θ.

haruspex said:
It looks like a standard weighted average formula, ##\bar x=\frac{\int f(x)x.dx}{\int f(x).dx}##, where f(x) is the weight function. Just the same as finding the centroid of a lamina.
If your question is how they get that weighting function then I am hampered by not knowing how to interpret d2θ.

Ah ha! Thank you, I was missing that.

##\vec \theta## is an angular position on the flat approximation of the sky, I've attached an image to illustrate it. A common example in the literature is to use the heaviside step function as the weight function, which I think just defines a sharp cutoff of the image along an isophote.

Attachments

• lens schema.png
    lens schema.png
    5 KB · Views: 565
BOAS said:
Ah ha! Thank you, I was missing that.

##\vec \theta## is an angular position on the flat approximation of the sky, I've attached an image to illustrate it. A common example in the literature is to use the heaviside step function as the weight function, which I think just defines a sharp cutoff of the image along an isophote.
Ok, but can you shed any light on the d2θ? I would have understood dθ as just the usual integration notation. I suspect it has something to do with the fact that we really want to integrate over the annulus rdrdφ, where r is proportional to θ and φ runs from 0 to 2π, but that would give something like θdθ, not d2θ.

What is the center of image?

The center of image refers to the point on an image that is equidistant from all edges of the image. This point is often used as a reference point for measuring or analyzing the image.

How is the center of image determined?

The center of image is typically determined by finding the midpoint of the image's width and height. This can also be done mathematically by calculating the average of all the x and y coordinates of the pixels in the image.

What is brightness distribution?

Brightness distribution refers to the variation of brightness levels across an image. It can be represented graphically as a histogram, with the x-axis representing the brightness levels and the y-axis representing the number of pixels with that brightness level.

Why is the center of image and brightness distribution important in image analysis?

The center of image and brightness distribution can provide valuable information about the overall composition and quality of an image. It can also help identify any potential issues with the image, such as over or underexposure, that may affect its interpretation or use.

How is the center of image and brightness distribution used in scientific research?

The center of image and brightness distribution are important metrics in various fields of scientific research, such as astronomy, microscopy, and medical imaging. They are used to quantify and analyze images, identify patterns and trends, and make comparisons between different images or datasets.