Question about the Borwein fast algorithm for certain values of Gamma

In summary, Dr. Borwein's paper presents an algorithm for fast evaluation of the gamma function using complete elliptic integrals of the first kind. The algorithm involves using the arithmetic geometric mean (AG) to take the difference of the squares of two values inside a summation, which is then used in a larger calculation. The curly brackets represent a value to the -1/2 power and the AG and ∑ refer to specific tables provided by the author. While the algorithm has limited scope, it produces accurate decimal approximations for the values it can calculate. The use of curly brackets in this context may not be common.
mesa
Gold Member
I am reading through Borwein's paper, "Fast evaluation of the gamma function for small rational fractions using complete elliptic integrals of the first kind" and have a question.

If we look at his algorithm's we see they are of this general form:

Gamma(1/2)=2^(-1/4)AG[1]{2^(-1/2)∑[1]}^(-1/2)

I have been able to run through everything up until the curly brackets, {}. Is this a multiplier? Or is it something else entirely?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I'm sorry you are not generating any responses at the moment. Is there any additional information you can share with us? Any new findings?

Greg Bernhardt said:
I'm sorry you are not generating any responses at the moment. Is there any additional information you can share with us? Any new findings?

It's the first time this has happened using PF so can't really complain.

Dr. Borwein figured out a way to use the arithmetic geometric mean (which he refers to simply as AG method) to take the difference of the squares of an and bn in a summation to get some pretty astounding decimal approximations for certain values of the gamma function.

The primary issue is it seems to be extremely limited in the number of values that can be used to calculate gammas and with the exception of some extraordinary mathematical gymnastics the number of values that can be used is countable.

Regardless, it is a wonderful piece of work!

mesa said:
I am reading through Borwein's paper, "Fast evaluation of the gamma function for small rational fractions using complete elliptic integrals of the first kind" and have a question.

If we look at his algorithm's we see they are of this general form:

Gamma(1/2)=2^(-1/4)AG[1]{2^(-1/2)∑[1]}^(-1/2)

I have been able to run through everything up until the curly brackets, {}. Is this a multiplier? Or is it something else entirely?
I'm not clear on what "[itex]\Sigma[1][/itex]" or "AG[1]" mean. But ignoring that, because the curly brackets are to the "-1/2" power, this is
[tex]\Gamma(1/2)= \frac{1}{16}\frac{AG[1]}{\sqrt{\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\Sigma[1]}}[/tex]

HallsofIvy said:
I'm not clear on what "[itex]\Sigma[1][/itex]" or "AG[1]" mean. But ignoring that, because the curly brackets are to the "-1/2" power, this is
[tex]\Gamma(1/2)= \frac{1}{16}\frac{AG[1]}{\sqrt{\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\Sigma[1]}}[/tex]

As far as 'AG' Borwein uses it as short hand for his summation that takes the difference of the squares of an and bn from the arithmetic geometric mean operation inside a summation that is taken away from a value that is dependent on the input for gamma.

The general operation of the identity is based on calculated variable 'N' tables provided by the author to compute certain values of gamma we can 'look up' to insert to get the components of AG[N] and ∑[N]. I did not look into exactly how the author calculated these tables, the process can be daunting and does not yield much value (if someone thinks otherwise please chime in!).

Overall the scope of his identity seems very limited but for the values it can calculate the decimal approximation for accuracy is astounding and grows radically with each step.

On another note, I figured the same for the curly brackets just representing () or [], I just haven't seen them used before, is this a common thing?

1. What is the Borwein fast algorithm?

The Borwein fast algorithm is an algorithm used for computing the values of the Riemann zeta function for specific values of Gamma. It was developed by mathematicians David and Jonathan Borwein in 1984.

2. How does the Borwein fast algorithm work?

The Borwein fast algorithm uses a combination of Fourier series and trigonometric identities to efficiently compute the values of the Riemann zeta function for certain values of Gamma. It is based on the Euler-Maclaurin summation formula.

3. What is the significance of the Borwein fast algorithm?

The Borwein fast algorithm is significant because it allows for the efficient computation of the values of the Riemann zeta function for specific values of Gamma, which was previously a very difficult and time-consuming task. It has also been used in various applications in physics and number theory.

4. What values of Gamma can the Borwein fast algorithm be used for?

The Borwein fast algorithm can be used for specific values of Gamma that fall within the range of 1 to 2. This includes values such as 1/2, 1, 3/2, and 2.

5. Is the Borwein fast algorithm the most efficient method for computing the Riemann zeta function for certain values of Gamma?

Yes, the Borwein fast algorithm is currently considered to be the most efficient method for computing the values of the Riemann zeta function for specific values of Gamma. However, there may be other algorithms that are more efficient for different ranges of Gamma.