Question about the "Bounce" model of BH and Anisotropy

In summary, there is a new BH model called "degenerate" Planck matter which proposes that string condensate fills the volume below the schwarzschild radius. This model aims to solve the information paradox by allowing Hawking radiation to carry away information. However, it is strange that in supermassive BHs, the "degenerate" matter has low density. Another new BH model, "fuzzballs", also attempts to solve the information paradox by violating the "no drama" hypothesis for observers near the horizon. Both models fall under the category of bounce models, which predict large violations of the no drama hypothesis. However, there is still much debate and uncertainty about these models.
tzimie
I have some doubts/questions about the new BH model. This model gains popularity, but does it make any sense?

Q1. Assuming the extreme time dilation inside BH, even tiny anisotropy after the bounce leads to HUGE (billion years) differences in the time of the visible explosion. One can argue that the "bounce" naturally "synchronizes" the matter, but:
Q2. Infalling matter after the bounce can and should destroy the perfect symmetry
Q3. ... and rotating BH definitely should have a difference between the equator and the poles.
Note that all realistic BH are almost over-extreme, so rotation is very important.

So there should not be gamma ray burst all over the BH the same second, instead, the explosion could be smeared to millions or even billion years. But if it is so smooth, the first outcoming rays/matter would be sucked back by the gravity, and we won't see a gamma ray burst at all.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Tzimie,
I can't give you satisfactory answers to your three questions. I was glad to see your post, though, and want to comment. I think you are talking about the bounce BH models in papers by Aurelien Barrau together with Rovelli and Vidotto and by the latter two.

I think that according to their BH models which are all pretty similar, just differ in some details, Astrophysical BH look and act conventionally for trillions of years. There is no question of our ever observing them explode. As far as we are concerned (unless you see some difference I haven't thought of) they look and act just like conventional Hawking-model black holes for thousands or millions of times the present age of the universe.

There was a well-known astrophysicist Neil Cornish who made this same point in a comment on Bee Hossenfelder's blog recently, but in regard to Laura M-H's paper.

But that leaves out the interesting part! This concerns the possible existence of primordial black holes with lifetimes comparable to the present age of the universe. I don't know of anyone who says they should rotate appreciably, so maybe that is not a problem, but your questions Q1 and Q2 certainly apply. I would like to know, for a PBH of initial mass 1015g to 1023g with size a tiny fraction of a centimeter, if the infalling matter and radiation it is likely to encounter can make any significant anisotropy!

Especially can the infall make any significant anisotropy in the degree of time dilation?

I hope you will discuss the questions a little further and help me get clearer about them.

BTW when I try to imagine how your name Tzimie is pronounced what I hear is "Jimmy", so that is how I think of you : ^)

Last edited:
Yes, I know that we can't expect BH explosions SOON (except the primordial ones). However, these explosions is the only point which makes this theory potentially falsifiable (even if they occur only in far future). However, based on Q1,Q2,Q3 these explosions are very unlikely.

Also I know there is yet another new BH model - "degenerate" Planck matter (some kind of string condensate) filling the whole volume below the schwarzschild radius. What do you think about it? (I had lost the link). It is designed to solve the information paradox, as hawking radiation can carry away the information. However, for me it is really weird that in supermassive BH that "degenerate" matter has very low density.

P.S.
Tzimie is just nickname, from "tzimisce" (vampire clan) :)
This is very useful because almost any name is already used in emails, logins etc,
and this rare combination is always free!

tzimie said:
...Also I know there is yet another new BH model - "degenerate" Planck matter (some kind of string condensate) filling the whole volume below the schwarzschild radius. What do you think about it? (I had lost the link). It is designed to solve the information paradox, as hawking radiation can carry away the information. However, for me it is really weird that in supermassive BH that "degenerate" matter has very low density...
I'm trying to think what that other BH model could be, and who could a representative author be?
My knowledge in incomplete and I can't be sure. Could it be Samir Mathur?
http://arxiv.org/abs/1406.0807
Remnants, Fuzzballs or Wormholes?
Samir D. Mathur
(Submitted on 3 Jun 2014)
The black hole information paradox has caused enormous confusion over four decades. But in recent years, the theorem of quantum strong-subaddditivity has sorted out the possible resolutions into three sharp categories:
(A) No new physics at r≫lp; this necessarily implies remnants/information loss. A realization of remnants is given by a baby Universe attached near r∼0.
(B) Violation of the `no-hair' theorem by nontrivial effects at the horizon r∼M. This possibility is realized by fuzzballs in string theory, and gives unitary evaporation.
(C) Having the vacuum at the horizon, but requiring that Hawking quanta at r∼M3 be somehow identified with degrees of freedom inside the black hole. A model for this `extreme nonlocality' is realized by conjecturing that wormholes connect the radiation quanta to the hole.
Comments:7 pages, 4 figures (Essay awarded an honorable mention in the Gravity Research Foundation essay competition 2014)

https://physics.osu.edu/people/mathur
Tzimie, I've never found Samir Mathur's "fuzzballs" interesting. I think I share the sense of "weirdness" you mentioned. His name often comes up as a string theorist with specialty in black holes. His papers on this go back quite a few years. But it's possible this is what you were remembering, so I mention it just in case.
Let me know if it's not Samir and I (or one of the others) may be able to come up with another possibility.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, thank you, it was called a "fuzzball"

Fuzzballs, energetic curtains (firewalls) and bounce models are basically all in the same class of solutions to the information paradox, in that they all predict large violations of what is known as the 'no drama' hypothesis for what an infalling observer sees at the horizon of an old black hole. In other words, that an observer in freefall near the horizon does not see vacuum. Although in the case of fuzzballs, there was a paper that was written arguing for some sort of complementarity, although I am not sure what the status is on that.

This sort of thing is very troubling to relativists, b/c it implies that there is something very wrong with their usual causal diagrams of spacetime. They worry about acausal signal propagation and so forth.

Likes Greg Bernhardt

1. What is the "Bounce" model of BH and Anisotropy?

The "Bounce" model is a cosmological model that suggests that the universe underwent a period of contraction before the current expansion. This contraction was caused by the collapse of a previous universe, resulting in a "bounce" and the subsequent expansion of our current universe.

2. How does the "Bounce" model explain anisotropy?

The "Bounce" model suggests that the anisotropies observed in the cosmic microwave background (CMB) radiation are a result of the gravitational collapse of the previous universe. As this collapse was not uniform, it caused density fluctuations which are reflected in the anisotropies of the CMB.

3. What evidence supports the "Bounce" model?

One of the main pieces of evidence for the "Bounce" model is the anisotropies observed in the CMB. These anisotropies are predicted by the model and have been confirmed by observations. Additionally, the model is consistent with other observations such as the distribution of galaxies and the expansion rate of the universe.

4. What are some criticisms of the "Bounce" model?

One of the main criticisms of the "Bounce" model is that it is difficult to test and confirm. As the bounce itself is not observable, it relies on indirect evidence such as the anisotropies in the CMB. Additionally, the model requires certain assumptions and parameters that are not yet fully understood.

5. How does the "Bounce" model differ from the Big Bang theory?

The "Bounce" model and the Big Bang theory differ in their explanation of the early universe. While the Big Bang theory suggests that the universe began with a singularity and expanded from there, the "Bounce" model suggests that the universe has gone through multiple cycles of contraction and expansion. Additionally, the "Bounce" model does not require the existence of a singularity, which is a point of debate in the Big Bang theory.