Question about the Derivation of the Stream-function for a Doublet

• Thread starter Master1022
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Derivation
In summary: I understand that the sources will cancel out, but am unclear as to why that means that we need to counter that by including a \frac{1}{s} term.The derivation is different if you swap the locations because the geometry is different. The fluid velocities (calculated from the derivatives of the stream function) are, as expected physically, in the opposite direction.
Master1022
TL;DR Summary
This is a question about the derivation of the stream-function of a doublet using potential flow theory
Hi,

I just wanted to ask a question about the derivation of the stream function [itex] \psi [/itex] for a doublet. In the pictures below is a derivation (in this one the source is on the left and the sink is on the right). I understand everything in the left photo, however my questions are:

1) Why do we divide by the distance between two sources [itex] s [/itex] before taking the limit? I cannot really understand the reason provided. I understand that the sources will cancel out, but am unclear as to why that means that we need to counter that by including a [itex] \frac{1}{s} [/itex] term.

2) Why does the derivation come out differently if we swap the placements of the source and sink? Intuitively, I feel that I have made an algebraic error, but I fail to see it. If we place the source on the right and the sink on the left, then we will get:
[tex] \psi = \frac{m}{2 \pi} \theta_{source} - \frac{m}{2 \pi} \theta_{sink} = \frac{m}{2 \pi} \left( atan(\frac{y}{x-s}) - atan(\frac{y}{x+s}) \right) [/tex]. Now we will get the same expression as before (except we have +m instead of -m), except we will end up with a different sign at the end. Surely, the end result should be the same irrespective of the original geometry.

I would appreciate any help. Thanks in advance.

Screen Shot 2020-01-12 at 12.03.18 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-01-12 at 12.03.24 PM.png

Engineering news on Phys.org
If you swap the locations, the fluid velocities (calculated from the derivatives of the stream function) are, as expected physically, in the opposite direction. So what's the problem?

Chestermiller said:
If you swap the locations, the fluid velocities (calculated from the derivatives of the stream function) are, as expected physically, in the opposite direction. So what's the problem?
Ah yes, that is true. Thank you.

Do you know the reason behind the division by [itex] \frac{1}{s} [/itex]?

Master1022 said:
Ah yes, that is true. Thank you.

Do you know the reason behind the division by [itex] \frac{1}{s} [/itex]?
You are determining the limit as the two charges are very close together.

Chestermiller said:
You are determining the limit as the two charges are very close together.
I understand the intuition, but why does that mean that we need a [itex] \frac{1}{s} [/itex] term

1. What is a doublet in fluid mechanics?

A doublet in fluid mechanics is a theoretical construct used to represent a source and a sink of equal strength located a small distance apart. It is often used in potential flow analysis to model the flow around a body in a fluid.

2. What is the stream-function in fluid mechanics?

The stream-function is a mathematical function used to describe the flow of a fluid in two-dimensional, irrotational flow. It is defined as the flow velocity components in the x and y directions multiplied by the distance along a streamline.

3. How is the stream-function derived for a doublet?

The stream-function for a doublet is derived by solving the governing equations of potential flow, which are the Laplace equation and the continuity equation. By using the method of complex variables and applying appropriate boundary conditions, the stream-function can be expressed in terms of the doublet strength and the distance from the doublet.

4. What are the applications of the doublet and its stream-function in fluid mechanics?

The doublet and its stream-function are used to analyze potential flow around bodies in a fluid, such as airfoils and ships. They are also used in the study of vortex dynamics and in the calculation of lift and drag forces on bodies in a fluid.

5. Are there any limitations to using the doublet and its stream-function in fluid mechanics?

Yes, the doublet and its stream-function are only applicable in potential flow, which means they cannot account for turbulence or viscous effects. They also assume that the flow is irrotational and incompressible, which may not be the case in all fluid flow situations.