Question about the formula of wave used and plane wave.

In summary, the equations y=4sin(ωt) and y=4sin(ωt±kx) are used to describe simple harmonic motion and traveling waves, respectively. The "4" represents the amplitude of the wave and the ± accounts for the direction of propagation. These equations can be derived from the wave equation and are used to understand the behavior of waves in various situations.
Outrageous
y= 4sin(ωt) this is only used in SHM
y=4sin(ωt±kx) this is a traveling wave
1)the above statement correct?
2)the x is in the direction of propagation?
3)the ± mean 2 wave?
4) can please give me a simple example of plane wave that we have in our daily life.
Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Is this a homework question? What have you done towards getting an answer?
Where does the "4" come from? You would normally expect a letter in its place (say A) which describes the maximum amplitude.
The +- is there to account for the wave traveling in either direction. Try plotting out the function and see how the ω and k affect the waveform in distance and in time.
There are no true plane waves but many waves, once they are a long way from their source, become spherical waves and, as the radius of the sphere increases, the wave front at any point, approximates to a plane wave. I'm sure that some examples will come to mind if you bear that in mind.

sophiecentaur said:
Is this a homework question? What have you done towards getting an answer?
Where does the "4" come from? You would normally expect a letter in its place (say A) which describes the maximum amplitude.
The +- is there to account for the wave traveling in either direction. Try plotting out the function and see how the ω and k affect the waveform in distance and in time.
There are no true plane waves but many waves, once they are a long way from their source, become spherical waves and, as the radius of the sphere increases, the wave front at any point, approximates to a plane wave. I'm sure that some examples will come to mind if you bear that in mind.
Not homework. I tried to answer on my questions.
That is an example, eg.A=4.
I can only plot out y against time or y against x. like this
http://www.wavenumber.net/index.php/about
I can understand y=4sin(ωt) and y=4sin(kx) used to describe the two graphs, but how scientist can form y=4sin(ωt±kt)
Thank you for replying.

The function y=4sin(ωt±kx) just shows how y varies as both x and t vary. An output variable can be dependent on any number of input variables. Look at a film of a water wave and see how the same 'shape' (function of x) varies with t (changes position with time).
If you plot two graphs, one above the other (use the -kx option - for the wave going to the right on the graph). Put t=0 in the upper one and t=pi/8, say. The result will be the waveforms at two different times - showing how the wave progresses in time.

sophiecentaur said:
If you plot two graphs, one above the other (use the -kx option - for the wave going to the right on the graph). Put t=0 in the upper one and t=pi/8, say. The result will be the waveforms at two different times - showing how the wave progresses in time.
do you mean plotting two graphs of y against x with the function of y=4sin(-kx) and the other is y=4sin(wπ/8-kx) .

Outrageous said:
do you mean plotting two graphs of y against x with the function of y=4sin(-kx) and the other is y=4sin(wπ/8-kx) .
Those two graphs should show you the state of the wave at two different times. Sorry but I meant the time to be π/(8ω), giving you a phase value of π/8, or 22.5 degrees. (Bad time to type the wrong thing - just at a crucial time in the flow of your understanding). This shows the effect of movement of the wave, which at any particular point in space, is just oscillating at ω.

sophiecentaur said:
Those two graphs should show you the state of the wave at two different times.
Yup , but I wonder how scientist know they can form y=4sin(ωt±kx),just simply looking at the graphs or is there any derivation, using trigonometry?
Thank you.

y=4sin [(2∏/λ)(x±vt)]
putting x=0, we can get y=4sin(ωt)
putting t=0, we can get y=4sin(kx)
the two formula combine to describe the wave at any time and place.
Correct?

Outrageous said:
Yup , but I wonder how scientist know they can form y=4sin(ωt±kx),just simply looking at the graphs or is there any derivation, using trigonometry?
Thank you.

Scientists know this because any function of the form f(kx-wt) satisfies by the wave equation for velocities of w/k. Plug it in for yourself and see. A way of thinking about such an equation of two variables is to hold say t fixed snd plot for many instances of x and then hold x fixed and plot many instances of t.

ZombieFeynman said:
Scientists know this because any function of the form f(kx-wt) satisfies by the wave equation for velocities of w/k. Plug it in for yourself and see.

What do you mean?
from any function , we will get v=w/k?
plug in what ?

Outrageous said:
What do you mean?
from any function , we will get v=w/k?
plug in what ?

Find the wave equation. A good place to start would be the wikipedia article on it. Other places that will have it are books on Optics (Perhaps Hecht) or Oscillations and Waves (say by A.P. French).

Then take any function of the form f(kx+wt) or f(kx-wt) and you will see that they are solutions of the one dimensional wave equation, for arbitrary f.

ZombieFeynman said:
Then take any function of the form f(kx+wt) or f(kx-wt) and you will see that they are solutions of the one dimensional wave equation, for arbitrary f.

Thank you.
One more to ask, we have wave equation first , then only we derive equation like y=4sin(wt±kx) in order to satisfy the wave equation. correct?

Outrageous said:
Thank you.
One more to ask, we have wave equation first , then only we derive equation like y=4sin(wt±kx) in order to satisfy the wave equation. correct?

No, this is not gereally true. By making a substitution of variables, you can derive that any function of the form I mentioned is a solution.

Thanks

1. What is the formula for a wave?

The formula for a wave is defined by the equation y = A sin (kx - ωt), where y is the displacement of the wave, A is the amplitude, k is the wave number, x is the position, ω is the angular frequency, and t is the time.

2. How is the formula for a plane wave different from other wave formulas?

The formula for a plane wave is a special case of the general wave formula, where the wave is traveling in a single direction with a constant amplitude and wavelength. This is represented by the equation y = A sin (kx - ωt) or y = A cos (kx - ωt).

3. What is the significance of the wave number in the formula for a wave?

The wave number, represented by the symbol k, is a measure of how many cycles of the wave occur in a given distance. It is directly related to the wavelength of the wave, with a higher wave number indicating a shorter wavelength and vice versa.

4. How is the angular frequency related to the frequency of a wave?

The angular frequency, represented by the symbol ω, is related to the frequency of a wave, represented by the symbol f, through the equation ω = 2πf. This means that the angular frequency is equal to 2π times the frequency, or the number of cycles per second, of the wave.

5. Can the wave formula be applied to all types of waves?

Yes, the wave formula can be applied to all types of waves, including electromagnetic waves, sound waves, and water waves. However, the specific values for the variables in the formula may differ depending on the type of wave being studied.