Question about the uncertainty principle

In summary, the uncertainty principle says that we can't know both the particle's position and velocity at the same time. So, if we send the particle into the singularity of a black hole, we can't say for certain that the particle doesn't move.
Spas Stoilov
The uncertainty principle says that you can't know position and velocity of particle at the same time. So particular we can not say that the particle is at rest at some point because then we would know it is not moving and we would know exactly where it is.
So my question is if we send the particle into the singularity of a black hole can we say that the particle does not move and we know exactly where it is? Оr the uncertainty still exist and we can say, we do know exactly where the particle is, but we do not know its velocity.

Thank you for your attention!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Well, actually the uncertainty principle says that we cannot measure position and velocity with arbitrary precision. Point is, if you send a particle in the singularity of a black hole we cannot measure anything (no way to extract information from there). So your gedanken experiment seems not very well crafted. And that even without mentioning that you must modify a theory in the regimes when singular point arise (quantum gravity theories are trying to do that).

So even if I'm behind the horizon i can not measure anything about singularity?

Your question cannot be answered without a reference to a specific quantum gravity theory: there are theories who get rid of of the (classical) singularity and others that propose to modify the Heisenberg uncertainty principle.
In the first case the uncertainty principle predictions still holds. For the second case I cannot answer, I don't remember the detail of the modifications proposed.

Can you tell me a literature which i can start read and i learn more about quantum gravity and why it's so difficult to unite the two theories?

Thanks for the feedback :)

Here you would probably find all of what you are asking, perhaps even too much: https://arxiv.org/archive/gr-qc (also https://arxiv.org/archive/hep-th, but only related to string theory approach).

A big warning: technical details of quantum gravity theories are really, really hard to follow without a robust knowledge on very advanced mathemathics.

In order to have some guidance over quantum gravity problems, so at least you can have some idea on this subject, I suggest you to follow the wonderful Sabine Hossenfelder blog: https://backreaction.blogspot.com/

She is not only a great expert in quantum gravity, but also very much agnostic on the specifics of the various theories.

Have fun!

Spas Stoilov said:
The uncertainty principle says that you can't know position and velocity of particle at the same time. So particular we can not say that the particle is at rest at some point because then we would know it is not moving and we would know exactly where it is.
So my question is if we send the particle into the singularity of a black hole can we say that the particle does not move and we know exactly where it is? Оr the uncertainty still exist and we can say, we do know exactly where the particle is, but we do not know its velocity.

Thank you for your attention!

There is quite a bit of misunderstanding in this post. The uncertainty principle is not about measurement but about quantum state preparation, there are plenty of threads about this. Secondly, a singularity of a black hole is equivalent to saying no one knows what happens here because General Relativity breaks down and there is no quantum theory to replace it .

Cheers

Likes vanhees71, weirdoguy and PeroK

1. What is the uncertainty principle?

The uncertainty principle, also known as Heisenberg's uncertainty principle, is a fundamental principle in quantum mechanics that states that it is impossible to know both the exact position and momentum of a particle at the same time.

2. Who discovered the uncertainty principle?

The uncertainty principle was first proposed by German physicist Werner Heisenberg in 1927.

3. Why is the uncertainty principle important?

The uncertainty principle is important because it shows the limitations of our ability to measure and predict the behavior of particles at the quantum level. It also plays a crucial role in understanding the behavior of atoms and subatomic particles.

4. How does the uncertainty principle affect our daily lives?

Although the uncertainty principle may seem abstract and unrelated to our daily lives, it actually has important applications in technology such as MRI machines and computer memory. It also helps explain the behavior of matter and energy in the universe.

5. Is the uncertainty principle a proven concept?

Yes, the uncertainty principle has been extensively tested and confirmed through numerous experiments and observations in quantum mechanics. It is considered a fundamental principle in the field of physics.