Question about this Separable ODE statement in a book

In summary, the conversation discusses the separability of an equation and the use of an inverse function to bring the resulting formula into a specific shape. The prerequisite for the integral function to have an inverse is that it should be monotonous and not diverge. The formula for the function V is questioned and compared to the text, and it is concluded that the system is solvable in quadratures and the integral does not play a crucial role. It is also mentioned that dividing the region can help keep a unique correspondence.
SchroedingersLion
TL;DR Summary
A question to a statement in a book.
Greetings,

I have a question to the following section of the book https://www.springer.com/gp/book/9783319163741:

SCREEN.png

I understand that the equation is separable, since I can just write
$$ \int_{x_0}^{x} \frac {1}{V(x', \xi, \eta)}dx' =\int_{0}^{t}dt' .$$
However, without knowing the exact shape of the function ##V##, how can I know that I can bring the resulting formula into the shape ##x=X(t, \xi, \eta)##? Am I missing something or is the author a bit too imprecise here?SL

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
From your equation, say
[tex]\int^x_C \frac{1}{V}dx'=G(x,\xi,\eta),[/tex]
[tex]G(x,\xi,\eta)-G(x_0,\xi,\eta)=t-t_0[/tex]
[tex]x=G^{-1}(t-t_0+G(x_0,\xi,\eta))=X(t,\xi,\eta,t_0,x_0)[/tex]
where ##G^{-1}## is a inverse function of G as for x with ##\xi,\eta## and ##x_0##,##t_0=0## given.

Likes SchroedingersLion
Thanks!

What is the prerequisite for the integral function having an inverse?

Integral should be monotonous and not diverge so V does not change sign in the region.

I find the formula ##v=V(x,\xi,\eta)## strange. I would write ##E(x,v)=h(=const)##. Assume that for some ##x_0,v_0,\quad E(x_0,v_0)=h## we have ##\frac{\partial E}{\partial v}(x_0,v_0)\ne 0## then for some small enough ##|x-x_0|## there is a unique function ##v=V(x)## such that ##E(x, V(x))\equiv h,\quad v_0=V(x_0).##

Last edited:
anuttarasammyak said:
Integral should be monotonous and not diverge so V does not change sign in the region.
How can you tell?

wrobel said:
I find the formula ##v=V(x,\xi,\eta)## strange. I would write ##E(x,v)=h(=const)##. Assume that for some ##x_0,v_0,\quad E(x_0,v_0)=h## we have ##\frac{\partial E}{\partial v}(x_0,v_0)\ne 0## then for some small enough ##|x-x_0|## there is a unique function ##v=V(x)## such that ##E(x, V(x))\equiv h,\quad v_0=V(x_0).##
But this is the same as the text says, your ##(x_0, v_0)## corresponds to its ##(\xi, \eta)##.

SchroedingersLion said:
But this is the same as the text says,
I have reread the text and yes, it is practically the same. Regarding your initial question I think that these formulas should be taken formally, in concrete examples everything is as usual clear. You have just been shown that the system is solvable in quadratures. This integral does not actually play a crucial role. Phase diagrams play

SchroedingersLion said:
How can you tell?
We can divide the region in order to keep unique correspondence.

Attachments

• 2020-06-13 07.04.47.jpg
    2020-06-13 07.04.47.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 247
Likes SchroedingersLion
Thanks for the drawing, I understand!

1. What is a separable ODE?

A separable ODE (ordinary differential equation) is a type of differential equation where the dependent variable and its derivative can be separated into two separate functions, each containing only one variable. This allows for the equation to be solved by integrating both sides separately.

2. How do you identify a separable ODE?

A separable ODE can be identified by looking for a dependent variable and its derivative that can be separated into two separate functions, each containing only one variable. The variables should not be multiplied together or appear in any other form.

3. What is the general solution to a separable ODE?

The general solution to a separable ODE is the solution that includes all possible solutions to the equation. It is usually expressed in the form of a function with an arbitrary constant. This solution can be found by integrating both sides of the equation separately.

4. Can a separable ODE have multiple solutions?

Yes, a separable ODE can have multiple solutions. This is because the general solution includes an arbitrary constant, which can take on different values for different solutions. However, there may also be specific initial conditions that can determine a unique solution.

5. What are some real-world applications of separable ODEs?

Separable ODEs are commonly used in physics, engineering, and other fields to model and solve various physical phenomena. Some examples include population growth, radioactive decay, and chemical reactions. They are also used in economics and finance to model growth and decay of investments and other financial variables.