Question about units for arcsecond

• Thread starter leonne
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Units
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the diameter of an object in the sky by converting arc seconds to degrees using the formula d=2Dtan(a/2). The question arises whether to ignore the degrees or remove them in order to find the radius and calculate the time it takes for an explosion to reach 1 arc second. It is also mentioned that the tan of an angle is a pure number without units, but can be described as a ratio of like sets of units.
leonne

Homework Statement

I need to find the diameter of an object in the sky, which i did, but not sure about the arc second.
I convert it into degrees wondering how i would remove the degrees.

Homework Equations

d=2Dtan(a/2)

The Attempt at a Solution

where D is distance a is angular d is diameter and so i got like 7.47e17cm degrees do I just ignore the degrees? or I need to do something else to remove it? need the radus so i can find the time it takes the explosion to reach 1 arc sec
thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
The tan of an angle is a pure number without units.

yeah just figured it out thanks

gneill said:
The tan of an angle is a pure number without units.

Could you also say that the units of tan() are Length/Length = 1?

berkeman said:
Could you also say that the units of tan() are Length/Length = 1?

You could. Actually, it can be the ratio of any like sets of units, such as N/N, or (m/s)/(m/s), and so on.

1. What is an arcsecond?

An arcsecond is a unit of angular measurement equal to 1/60th of an arcminute or 1/3600th of a degree. It is commonly used in astronomy and other sciences to measure small angles.

2. How is an arcsecond different from a degree?

An arcsecond is a smaller unit of measurement than a degree. There are 60 arcseconds in one arcminute and 3600 arcseconds in one degree. 1 degree is equivalent to 60 arcminutes or 3600 arcseconds.

3. What is the symbol for arcsecond?

The symbol for arcsecond is "arcsec" or "as". It is often written after the numerical value, for example, 10 arcseconds would be written as 10 arcsec or 10 as.

4. What is the conversion rate for arcseconds to other units?

1 arcsecond is equal to 0.000277778 degrees, 0.0166667 arcminutes, or 0.00000484814 radians. To convert from arcseconds to other units, simply multiply the number of arcseconds by the conversion rate.

5. How accurate is the measurement of arcsecond?

The accuracy of an arcsecond measurement depends on the precision of the instrument used. In astronomy, telescopes can measure angles to fractions of an arcsecond. However, in everyday use, measurements in arcseconds are usually rounded to the nearest whole number.