Find angle between displacement and velocity vector

That's why you needed to use a vector equation, ##D = D_0 + V_0 t + (1/2)at^2##. If you had used that you wouldn't have to worry about the signs at all. The negative sign would have just taken care of itself.
soupleaf

Homework Statement

A stone is thrown at 25m/s and at 37 degrees above the horizontal from a 20m high building. Take g=10m/s2
Let D be the displacement vector from launch point on top of the building to landing point on the ground, and v be the velocity vector on impact, what is the angle between these two vectors?

I have the answer being 51.34 degrees - 14.04 degrees = 37.30 degrees from my teacher!

I have already found that vertical velocity is 15.05m/s, horizontal velocity is 19.97m/s. It takes 1.5s to reach the high point, 4s to hit the ground, goes 80m horizontal distance before hitting the ground, and its speed of impact is sqrt 1025 or 32.02m/s.

Homework Equations

V2 = Vo2 +2a(x-xo)

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that D as a vector can be represented as seen below because of the given building height and the stone horizontal distance.
physics%201.png

To get theta I just did arc tan (20/80)

v as a vector I am calculating its components at impact to be...

vertical/j hat is V2 = (15.05)2 + 2(10)(20)
V = 25.03 m/s j hat

horizontal/i hat is V2 = (19.97)2 +2(0)(80)
V = 19.97 m/s i hat

So to find the angle of the similar right triangle would be arc tan (25.03/19.97) = 51.41 degrees

Since the 2 triangles overlap because they both connect at the impact site, I do 51.41 degrees - 14.04 degrees to get the distance between v and D.
However this goes against the given answer my teacher gave me of 51.34 degrees - 14.04 degrees = 37.30?

I'm confused because I'm tried thinking of different ways to do it, plugging in any of the values I've solved for or been given that are appropriate, but I can never get 51.34 degrees.

Physics news on Phys.org
soupleaf said:
To get theta I just did arc tan (20/80)
That's totally incorrect. Your drawing shows that the projectile follows a triangular path and that it hits the ground at the same level from which it was launched. You need to reconsider. Hint: ##\vec{D}## is a position vector that depends on time. Can you find expressions for ## \vec{D}(t)## and ## \vec{v}(t)##?

kuruman said:
That's totally incorrect. Your drawing shows that the projectile follows a triangular path and that it hits the ground at the same level from which it was launched. You need to reconsider. Hint: ##\vec{D}## is a position vector that depends on time. Can you find expressions for ## \vec{D}(t)## and ## \vec{v}(t)##?

Thank you very much for the reply. I found out my own error. It said take g=10m/s2 but I guess I messed up my coord system somewhere making down +. I went back and made down - so g=-10m/s2 and everywhere else in my work and in the end vertical V should have been calculated using V= Vo + at.
V = 15.05 + (-10)(4) = -24.95 m/s.
arc tan (-24.95/19.97) = 51.34 degrees

51.34 - 14.04 = 37.70 degrees which was the answer my teacher gave.

My drawing did not have enough detail maybe because in the end the calculator for theta was correct. It was launched from a building 20m high which I did not include in the drawing, and the theta I calculated was the angle at the bottom near the impact site. Maybe that clears it up, not sure...

soupleaf said:
It said take g=10m/s2 but I guess I messed up my coord system somewhere making down +. I went back and made down - so g=-10m/s2 and everywhere else
Yes, you had the sign wrong, but that description is backwards. If down is positive then g=+10m/s2, but the initial velocity is negative, etc.

1. What is the difference between displacement and velocity?

Displacement is a vector quantity that represents the shortest distance and direction between two points. Velocity, on the other hand, is a vector quantity that represents the rate of change of displacement over time.

2. How do you find the angle between displacement and velocity vector?

The angle between displacement and velocity vector can be found by using the dot product formula: θ = cos^-1((d∙v) / (|d||v|)), where d is the displacement vector and v is the velocity vector.

3. Can the angle between displacement and velocity be negative?

No, the angle between displacement and velocity cannot be negative. It is always measured as the acute angle between the two vectors, and therefore, it will always be a positive value.

4. How is the angle between displacement and velocity related to the direction of motion?

The angle between displacement and velocity is directly related to the direction of motion. If the angle is 0°, it means that the displacement and velocity vectors are in the same direction, indicating motion in a straight line. If the angle is 90°, it means that the displacement and velocity vectors are perpendicular, indicating motion in a circular path.

5. What is the importance of knowing the angle between displacement and velocity?

Knowing the angle between displacement and velocity is important in understanding the motion of an object. It can help determine the direction of motion, the type of motion (linear or circular), and the acceleration of the object. It is also a key component in many physics equations and calculations related to motion.