Question about what index notation is telling me

In summary, the expression (\hat{r} \times \vec{\nabla}) \times \hat{r} can be simplified using index notation to ((\hat{r} \times \vec{\nabla}) \times \hat{r})_i = \varepsilon_{ijk}(\varepsilon_{jmn}r_m\partial_n)r_k. By employing the contraction \varepsilon_{ijk}\varepsilon_{jmn} = \delta_{im}\delta_{kn} - \delta_{in}\delta_{km} and simplifying, we get r_i \partial_k r_k - r_k\partial_ir_k. The first term can be written as \hat
AxiomOfChoice
I'm trying to simplify the expression

[tex]
(\hat{r} \times \vec{\nabla}) \times \hat{r},
[/tex]

where [itex]\hat{r}[/itex] is the radial unit vector, using index notation. I think I'm right to write this as:

[tex]
((\hat{r} \times \vec{\nabla}) \times \hat{r})_i = \varepsilon_{ijk}(\varepsilon_{jmn}r_m\partial_n)r_k.
[/tex]

But when I employ the contraction

[tex]
\varepsilon_{ijk}\varepsilon_{jmn} = \delta_{im}\delta_{kn} - \delta_{in}\delta_{km}
[/tex]

and simplify, what I wind up with is this:

[tex]
r_i \partial_k r_k - r_k\partial_ir_k.
[/tex]

I'm thinking that this first term becomes [itex]\hat{r} (\nabla \cdot \hat{r})[/itex]...is that right? And what about the second term? I'm kind of clueless as to what to do with that.

I might have made other mistakes here, though, so I'd appreciate someone pointing them out. Thanks.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I would expand r in its Cartesian components first; otherwise you'll have to look up the correct formula for the curl in spherical coordinates, and things could get messy. So write

[tex]\hat r = \frac{\vec r}{r} = \frac{x_i}{r} {\vec e_i}[/tex]

Just remember that r (the radial length) is actually a function of x, y, and z:

[tex]r(x,y,z) = \sqrt{x^2 + y^2 + z^2}[/tex]

What is index notation?

Index notation is a mathematical notation that uses indices or subscripts to represent repeated multiplication or division. It is commonly used in algebra, calculus, and physics to simplify and compactly express equations.

How do I read and interpret index notation?

To read index notation, start with the base number or variable and then look at the subscript or superscript. The subscript indicates the number of times the base is multiplied by itself, while the superscript indicates the number of times the base is divided by itself. For example, x3 means x is multiplied by itself three times, while x2 means x is divided by itself two times.

What are the advantages of using index notation?

Index notation allows for a more concise and efficient representation of mathematical equations. It also helps to identify and simplify patterns in equations, making it easier to solve problems and understand relationships between variables.

What are some common mistakes people make when using index notation?

One common mistake is confusing the order of operations when dealing with multiple indices. Another mistake is not properly simplifying equations with negative indices. It is also important to be careful when using indices with fractions, as the rules for simplification may differ.

Are there any other notations that are similar to index notation?

Yes, there are other notations that use subscripts and superscripts, such as factorial notation and logarithmic notation. However, index notation is specifically used for representing repeated multiplication and division, while other notations may have different purposes or meanings.