Question about work energy theorem

In summary, the conversation is discussing how to find the maximum speed at a specific point without using vector integration. It is mentioned that the point of maximum speed is at an angle of 120 degrees and that the work starts to be negative. The person asking the question is unsure how to find the maximum speed without using vector integration, but it is suggested to write the integral and keep in mind the constant force to make it easier.
Clara Chung

Homework Statement

36.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know how to do part 5, I know the point of maximum speed is at an angle of 120 degrees because the work starts to be negative, but how do I find of the maximum speed at that point without using vector integration? (I tried to integrate from theta = 0 to 2 pi /3 but I think it is a bit complicated for a 4 marks question.)

Attachments

• 36.png
    36.png
    55 KB · Views: 1,086
Physics news on Phys.org
Clara Chung said:
how do I find of the maximum speed at that point without using vector integration
Nevertheless, if you write the integral and bear in mind that ##\vec F## is constant you may find it is quite easy.

Likes Clara Chung

1. What is the work-energy theorem?

The work-energy theorem is a fundamental concept in physics that relates the work done on an object to its change in kinetic energy. It states that the net work done on an object is equal to the change in its kinetic energy.

2. How is the work-energy theorem derived?

The work-energy theorem is derived from the laws of motion, specifically Newton's second law and the definition of work. By combining these two equations, we can arrive at the work-energy theorem.

3. Can the work-energy theorem be applied to all types of motion?

Yes, the work-energy theorem can be applied to all types of motion, including linear, rotational, and complex motions. As long as there is a change in kinetic energy, the work-energy theorem can be used.

4. What is the significance of the work-energy theorem?

The work-energy theorem is significant because it allows us to understand the relationship between work and energy, and how they are interrelated in the motion of objects. It also allows us to make predictions and calculations about the motion of objects.

5. Are there any limitations to the work-energy theorem?

While the work-energy theorem is a powerful tool in physics, it does have some limitations. It assumes that all forces are conservative, and it does not take into account non-conservative forces such as friction. It also does not consider the direction of motion, only the magnitude of velocity and change in kinetic energy.