Difficulty in deciding when to apply work energy theorem

physicsissohard
Homework Statement
Two blocks A and B of the same mass connected with a spring are placed on a rough inclined plane, which makes an angle $\theta$ with horizontal. What minimum velocity should be given to A up the incline so that B just moves
Relevant Equations
its
This is how I tried to do it. The force required to move B up the incline is $kx$ where x is elongation and k is spring constant. we know that spring force is greater than $mg(sin\theta+\mu cos\theta)$. And we can use work-energy theorem to figure out velocity.
$0.5*k*x^2=0.5*mv^2$ where $0.5*k*x^2$ is work done by spring force. and when you count all the chickens $v$ turns out to be $\sqrt{km}(gsin\theta+\mu gcos\theta)$. Which apparently is the wrong answer. And the correct answer apparently is $$\sqrt{(3m)/k}(gsin\theta+\mu gcos\theta)$$. I have no idea what I did wrong. Can somebody help? is there something wrong with the WOrk energy theorem, or what?
[![enter image description here][1]][1] [1]: https://i.stack.imgur.com/81yAK.png

Physics news on Phys.org
The NET work is the one equal to the change in kinetic energy. This is what the work energy theorem "says".

Likes topsquark
physicsissohard said:
Homework Statement: Two blocks A and B of the same mass connected with a spring are placed on a rough inclined plane, which makes an angle $\theta$ with horizontal. What minimum velocity should be given to A up the incline so that B just moves
Relevant Equations: its

This is how I tried to do it. The force required to move B up the incline is $kx$ where x is elongation and k is spring constant. we know that spring force is greater than $mg(sin\theta+\mu cos\theta)$. And we can use work-energy theorem to figure out velocity.
$0.5*k*x^2=0.5*mv^2$ where $0.5*k*x^2$ is work done by spring force. and when you count all the chickens $v$ turns out to be $\sqrt{km}(gsin\theta+\mu gcos\theta)$. Which apparently is the wrong answer. And the correct answer apparently is $$\sqrt{(3m)/k}(gsin\theta+\mu gcos\theta)$$. I have no idea what I did wrong. Can somebody help? is there something wrong with the WOrk energy theorem, or what?
[![enter image description here][1]][1] [1]: https://i.stack.imgur.com/81yAK.png
You need two hash signs for your inline Latex.

Is the spring the only force on block A?

Likes topsquark

1. What is the work energy theorem?

The work energy theorem is a fundamental principle in physics that states that the work done on an object is equal to the change in its kinetic energy. This means that when a force is applied to an object, it will either increase or decrease its speed depending on the direction of the force.

2. How does the work energy theorem relate to decision making?

The work energy theorem can be applied to decision making by considering the effort and energy required to make a decision. Just like how a force can change an object's speed, the decision-making process can also require energy and effort. By understanding this principle, we can make more informed decisions about when to apply our energy and when to conserve it.

3. When should I use the work energy theorem in decision making?

The work energy theorem can be applied in decision making when there are multiple options to choose from and you need to consider the effort and energy required for each option. It can also be useful when trying to determine the most efficient course of action to achieve a certain goal.

4. What are some potential challenges in applying the work energy theorem to decision making?

One challenge in applying the work energy theorem to decision making is accurately quantifying the amount of effort and energy required for each option. This can be subjective and may vary from person to person. Additionally, external factors such as emotions and biases can also affect the decision-making process.

5. Are there any other theories or principles that can be used in conjunction with the work energy theorem for decision making?

Yes, there are several other theories and principles that can be used in conjunction with the work energy theorem for decision making. These include cost-benefit analysis, decision trees, and the Pareto principle. It is important to consider multiple perspectives and tools when making decisions to ensure the best outcome.