Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Question dealing with density and pressure

1. Jan 18, 2009 #1
    I haven't taken physics in a while, and most of this is physics related. My professor's lectures have not helped me understand the material, so I have questions on my homework. I would like to learn how to approach this problem and solve it.

The figure shows a vertical dam holding back a reservoir of depth h. The lower half of the reservoir consists of a sludge whose density is twice that of water, and the upper half of the reservoir's volume consists of pure water.

a. Determine how pressure depends on altitude z in the water and sludge.
    b. Let w be the dam's width, and determine the horizontal component of force on the dam.

Thank you in advance.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 18, 2009 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Welcome to PF!

Hi tophat22! Welcome to PF! :smile:
    a. The pressure is basically the weight of the fluid above (per area). :smile:

b. Pressure = force per area, so the force on the dam is the integral of pressure times area. :wink:

4. Jan 19, 2009 #3
    for part a, what am I supposed to do with vector z? will I have to deal with an integral?

5. Jan 19, 2009 #4

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi tophat22! :smile:
    No, you'd only need an integral if the density was varying continuously

but here, it's constant to a certain height, and then a different constant, so you can just multiply instead of integrating. :smile:

6. Jan 20, 2009 #5

stewartcs

Science Advisor

Since the pressure varies with depth there will be a different force on the dam at different depths. So integration would be needed.

CS

7. Jan 20, 2009 #6

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi stewartcs! :smile:

Not for part a. :wink:

8. Jan 20, 2009 #7

stewartcs

Science Advisor

Sorry I missed the "part a" there! :blushing: Silly me...I should not post until my morning tea!

CS

9. Jan 20, 2009 #8

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It's afternoon here in London! :biggrin:

'll soon be proper tea-time

… and time for "Countdown" on telly. :tongue2:​

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook