1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question from Dirac's Principles of QM

1. Apr 29, 2007 #1
    I have the fourth edition of Dirac's Principles of QM. I have a question concerning the equation in the middle of page 102 (between eqns 64 and 65 in section 25.)
    [tex]\lim_{\delta x \rightarrow 0}(De^{i\gamma} - 1)/\delta x = \lim_{\delta x \rightarrow 0}(D - 1 + i \gamma)/\delta x[/tex]
    If you make the substitution [itex]e^{i\gamma} \simeq 1 + i \gamma[/itex] then it seems to me you should get
    [tex]\lim_{\delta x \rightarrow 0}(De^{i\gamma} - 1)/\delta x = \lim_{\delta x \rightarrow 0}(D - 1 + i \gamma D)/\delta x[/tex]
    What am I missing?
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 29, 2007 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You aren't missing anything. Is it a typo?
  4. Apr 30, 2007 #3
    I doubt it. The conclusion he correctly draws from this equation is that the displacement operator is indeterminate by an arbitrary additive pure imaginary number:
    [tex]ia_x = \lim_{\delta x \rightarrow 0}i \gamma/\delta x[/tex]
    If it were a typo, then the the right hand side would also need to be operated on by D and then would not be a number. Is there some reason that [itex]D(i\gamma) = i \gamma[/itex]?
  5. Apr 30, 2007 #4
    Never mind, I finally figured it out. Thanks for your help. The solution is that
    [tex]\lim_{\delta x \rightarrow 0}D = 1[/tex]
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?