Question from Dirac's Principles of QM

• Thread starter Jimmy Snyder
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Qm
In summary, the conversation discusses a question about an equation in the middle of page 102 in the fourth edition of Dirac's Principles of QM. The equation involves a substitution and the conclusion is that the displacement operator is indeterminate by an arbitrary additive pure imaginary number. The question is whether it is a typo and the answer is that it is not, as the solution is that the limit of D is equal to 1.
Jimmy Snyder
I have the fourth edition of Dirac's Principles of QM. I have a question concerning the equation in the middle of page 102 (between eqns 64 and 65 in section 25.)
[tex]\lim_{\delta x \rightarrow 0}(De^{i\gamma} - 1)/\delta x = \lim_{\delta x \rightarrow 0}(D - 1 + i \gamma)/\delta x[/tex]
If you make the substitution [itex]e^{i\gamma} \simeq 1 + i \gamma[/itex] then it seems to me you should get
[tex]\lim_{\delta x \rightarrow 0}(De^{i\gamma} - 1)/\delta x = \lim_{\delta x \rightarrow 0}(D - 1 + i \gamma D)/\delta x[/tex]
What am I missing?

Physics news on Phys.org
You aren't missing anything. Is it a typo?

Dick said:
Is it a typo?
I doubt it. The conclusion he correctly draws from this equation is that the displacement operator is indeterminate by an arbitrary additive pure imaginary number:
[tex]ia_x = \lim_{\delta x \rightarrow 0}i \gamma/\delta x[/tex]
If it were a typo, then the the right hand side would also need to be operated on by D and then would not be a number. Is there some reason that [itex]D(i\gamma) = i \gamma[/itex]?

Never mind, I finally figured it out. Thanks for your help. The solution is that
[tex]\lim_{\delta x \rightarrow 0}D = 1[/tex]

1. What is Dirac's Principles of Quantum Mechanics?

Dirac's Principles of Quantum Mechanics is a book written by physicist Paul Dirac in 1930. It is considered to be one of the most important and influential works in the field of quantum mechanics, providing a mathematical framework for understanding the behavior of subatomic particles.

2. What are the key principles of Dirac's Principles of Quantum Mechanics?

The key principles of Dirac's Principles of Quantum Mechanics are the superposition principle, the uncertainty principle, and the wave function. These principles help to explain the probabilistic nature of quantum mechanics and the behavior of particles at the subatomic level.

3. How does Dirac's Principles of Quantum Mechanics differ from other theories?

Dirac's Principles of Quantum Mechanics differs from other theories in that it attempts to provide a mathematical framework for understanding the behavior of subatomic particles, rather than just describing their observed behavior. It also introduced the concept of anti-particles and predicted the existence of antimatter.

4. What are some practical applications of Dirac's Principles of Quantum Mechanics?

Some practical applications of Dirac's Principles of Quantum Mechanics include the development of technologies such as transistors, lasers, and MRI machines. It also plays a crucial role in understanding and developing quantum computing, encryption, and cryptography.

5. What are some criticisms of Dirac's Principles of Quantum Mechanics?

Some criticisms of Dirac's Principles of Quantum Mechanics include its complex mathematical formalism, which is often difficult for non-experts to understand. It also has been criticized for its inability to fully explain certain phenomena, such as the measurement problem and the paradoxes of quantum mechanics.