Show that a nonlinear transformation preseves velocity

In summary: Remember that ##dx'^i = \frac{dx'^i}{dx^j} dx^j##, and similarly for ##dt'##.In summary, to show that a particle moving with uniform velocity in frame ##S## also has uniform velocity in frame ##S'##, given by the fractional linear transformation, we must show that the acceleration in both frames is zero. To do this, we can work with differentials and use the chain rule to compute the various derivatives. Remember, for the transformation ##x'^\mu = \frac{A_\nu^\mu x^\nu + b^\mu}{c_\nu x^\nu + d}##, we have ##dx'^i = \frac{dx'^
SevenHells

Homework Statement

I have a particle moving with uniform velocity in a frame ##S##, with coordinates $$ x^\mu , \mu=0,1,2,3. $$
I need to show that the particle also has uniform velocity in a frame ## S' ##, given by
$$x'^\mu=\dfrac{A_\nu^\mu x^\nu + b^\mu}{c_\nu x^\nu + d}, $$
with ## A_\nu^\mu,b^\mu,c_\nu x^\nu,d ## constant.

Homework Equations

I don't think these are very relevant because they're not the transformations for the question but
$$\Delta x = \gamma(\Delta x' + v\Delta t')$$
$$\Delta t = \gamma(\Delta t' + v\Delta x'/c^2)$$
$$\Delta x' = \gamma(\Delta x - v\Delta t)$$
$$\Delta t' = \gamma(\Delta t - v\Delta x/c^2)$$

The Attempt at a Solution

I wrote the ## S' ## coordinates out and using ## x'^0=t'##,##x'^1=x'##,##x'^2=y'##,##x'^3=z' ##, try to calculate the velocities but I don't think it's right. I'm not sure how to show a transformation preserves the particle velocity. Could anyone point me how to show this for the Lorentz transformations, and then I could try to do it for my transformations?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Oh, and for inline math we use ## \#\# ## to start and end, not ##$##

BvU said:
Oh, and for inline math we use ## \#\# ## to start and end, not ##$##
I've fixed that now, thanks. Did you have something typed before "Oh,"?

Ummm, no ... :frown:

SevenHells said:
I have a particle moving with uniform velocity in a frame ##S##, with coordinates $$ x^\mu , \mu=0,1,2,3. $$
I need to show that the particle also has uniform velocity in a frame ## S' ##, given by
$$x'^\mu=\dfrac{A_\nu^\mu x^\nu + b^\mu}{c_\nu x^\nu + d}, $$
with ## A_\nu^\mu,b^\mu,c_\nu x^\nu,d ## constant.
"Uniform velocity" means zero acceleration. So you must show that if $$\frac{dv^i}{dt} \equiv \frac{d^2 x^i}{dt^2} = 0$$then
$$\frac{dv'^i}{dt'} \equiv\frac{d^2 x'^i}{dt'^2} = 0$$ (where ##i=1,2,3##).

BTW, what is the context of this problem? It's actually a classic -- the fractional linear transformations are known to be the most general transformations which preserve inertial motion. :-)

Not sure how much of a hint I should give you, so I'll start with this:

Work with the differentials, i.e., find ##dx^i## and ##dt## separately, then take their quotient to find an expression for ##v##. Take differential ##dv## similarly, and take its quotient with ##dt## to find the acceleration.

Further hints: use the chain rule to compute the various differentials.

1. What is a nonlinear transformation?

A nonlinear transformation is a mathematical function that maps one set of values to another set of values, where the relationship between the input and output values is not linear. This means that the output values do not change at a constant rate as the input values change.

2. How does a nonlinear transformation preserve velocity?

A nonlinear transformation preserves velocity by maintaining the same rate of change in velocity before and after the transformation. This means that if an object is moving at a constant velocity before the transformation, it will continue to move at the same velocity after the transformation.

3. Can you provide an example of a nonlinear transformation that preserves velocity?

One example of a nonlinear transformation that preserves velocity is a rotation. If an object is rotating at a constant angular velocity before the transformation, it will continue to rotate at the same angular velocity after the transformation.

4. What is the significance of preserving velocity in a nonlinear transformation?

Preserving velocity in a nonlinear transformation is important because it ensures that the physical laws of motion are still valid after the transformation. This allows scientists to accurately predict the behavior of objects undergoing nonlinear transformations.

5. Are there any real-life applications of nonlinear transformations that preserve velocity?

Yes, there are many real-life applications of nonlinear transformations that preserve velocity. Some examples include the motion of planets and satellites in orbit, the movement of a spinning top, and the rotation of a spinning wheel. Nonlinear transformations that preserve velocity are also used in computer graphics and animation to create realistic movement and motion.