Question: how to calculate the energy of crystal

In summary, the individual is dealing with crystals and has a question about how to calculate the energy of crystals, specifically in regards to tungsten oxide and its different polymorphs. They mention that density functional theory is commonly used to predict crystal structures, but they are not familiar with the theory and are wondering if there is a simpler method to characterize the energy of different crystal phases.
hymeme
Dear all, I am recently dealing with crystals. There is one question which puzzles me a lot. How to calculate the energy of crystals? For example, tungsten oxide has severl polymorphs such as alpha, beta , and gamma. What is the energy difference among them. Hope you can help with this question. Thanks a lot!

Physics news on Phys.org
Usually, density functional theory is used to predict structures from first principles. An example for WO3 would be this paper.

Vagn said:
Usually, density functional theory is used to predict structures from first principles. An example for WO3 would be this paper.
thank you! From the paper, the value of the band gap various a lot for one specific phase. Does that mean such difference in structure is not the key factor which enfluences the energy much.(we synthesized WO3 experimentaly, but not familar with the theory. )

There is a lot of ambiguity in your question.

First of all, what exactly do you mean by "energy of a crystal"? It is hard to know if you want the bonding energy of a particular crystal configuration, the electronic binding energy, etc. In fact, you thank Vagn for giving you a paper that theoretically derived the band structure of a crystal. Is the electronic band structure what you actually meant by "energy of a crystal"?

So what exactly are you looking for here?

Zz.

ZapperZ, Thank you very much for the thoughtful reply. My question is not clear because I am not a physicist and not familiar with this area. This question occurred to me when we were synthesizing WO3 nanoparticles. At different temperature, the phase of the product is different. So I was wondering that different phase must have different energy level. I have hard time to find the right method to characterize such 'energy'. Band structure is good to know. But it will be best if there is another simple way.

1. What is the formula for calculating the energy of a crystal?

The formula for calculating the energy of a crystal is E = N * h * v, where E is the energy, N is the number of atoms in the crystal, h is Planck's constant, and v is the frequency of the crystal's vibrations.

2. How do I determine the number of atoms in a crystal?

You can determine the number of atoms in a crystal by dividing the mass of the crystal by the atomic mass of the element. This will give you the number of moles of the element, which can then be multiplied by Avogadro's number (6.022 x 10^23) to get the number of atoms.

3. What is the unit of measurement for crystal energy?

The unit of measurement for crystal energy is Joules (J). However, in some cases, it may be measured in electron volts (eV) or kilojoules per mole (kJ/mol).

4. Can crystal energy be negative?

Yes, crystal energy can be negative. This indicates that the crystal is in a lower energy state than the separated atoms. Negative crystal energy is often seen in ionic compounds.

5. What factors affect the energy of a crystal?

The energy of a crystal is affected by factors such as the type and arrangement of atoms in the crystal, temperature, pressure, and external forces such as electric or magnetic fields. The crystal's lattice structure and bonding also play a significant role in determining its energy.