Question in complex general equation (2nd order)

In summary, the real-valued general solution of the given differential equation is e^(-0.5x)(a*cos(√3*x/2)+b*sin(√3*x/2)), where a and b are undetermined constants. The solution was obtained using the characteristic equation and the method of finding particular solutions. The use of notation such as -0.5x instead of -x/2 is acceptable and does not affect the logic or algebra of the solution.
batmankiller
Question:
Find the real-valued general solution of the differential equation

y''+1y'+1y=0
where primes indicate differentiation with respect to x. (Use the parameters a, b, etc., for undetermined constants in your solution.)

My attempt:
Use characteristic equation:
r^2+r+1=0
I used the quadratic formula and got r=(-1 +-sqrt(-3))/2
So we get a=-.5 b-sqrt(3)/2

Following e^(ax)(c1cos(bx)+c2sin(bx):

we get e^(-.5x)(a*cos([tex]\sqrt{3}[/tex]*x/2)+bsin([tex]\sqrt{3}[/tex]*x/2))

Anyone see any flaw i nlogic of algebra or math? I can't seem to get a correct answer

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
hi batmankiller! :smile:

(have a square-root: √ and try using the X2 icon just above the Reply box :wink:)
batmankiller said:
Find the real-valued general solution of the differential equation

y''+1y'+1y=0
where primes indicate differentiation with respect to x. (Use the parameters a, b, etc., for undetermined constants in your solution.)

we get e^(-.5x)(a*cos([tex]\sqrt{3}[/tex]*x/2)+bsin([tex]\sqrt{3}[/tex]*x/2))

looks ok to me :confused:

perhaps it's your notation …

have you tried entering x/2 (instead of 0.5 x), or (√3/2)x, or 0.866 x ?

umm yeah thanks so much. -.5x apparently doesn't equal -x/2 anymore. Math as we know it has changed!

the computers have taken over :redface:

we have to speak the language of the conquerors! :smile:

1. What is a complex general equation?

A complex general equation is an equation that involves complex numbers, which are numbers that contain both a real and imaginary component. These equations often involve operations such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division with complex numbers.

2. What does it mean for an equation to be 2nd order?

A 2nd order equation refers to the highest exponent or power of the equation. In other words, it is an equation where the highest power of the variable is 2. This means that the equation will have at least one term with a variable raised to the power of 2, such as x^2 or y^2.

3. Can a complex general equation have more than one solution?

Yes, a complex general equation can have multiple solutions. This is because complex numbers have both a real and imaginary component, so there can be different combinations of these components that satisfy the equation. These solutions are often represented as points on a complex plane.

4. How do I solve a complex general equation?

The process for solving a complex general equation is similar to solving a regular equation. First, try to simplify the equation by combining like terms and isolating the variable. Then, use algebraic methods to solve for the variable. In some cases, you may need to use special techniques for solving equations with complex numbers, such as finding the conjugate or using the quadratic formula.

5. What are some real-life applications of complex general equations?

Complex general equations are used in many fields of science and engineering, such as electrical engineering, physics, and signal processing. They are also used in economics and finance to model complex systems and make predictions. Additionally, complex general equations are used in computer graphics to create realistic images and animations.