[Question] Limit and Integration

In summary, we are considering the statement that for a continuous, smooth function f(x,y) with the property of approaching 1 as y approaches 0, and another continuous, smooth function g(x), the limit as y approaches 0 of the integral from a to b of g(x)f(x,y) with respect to x is equal to the integral from a to b of g(x) with respect to x. The validity of this statement can be determined using Lebesgue's monotone convergence theorem and dominated convergence theorem, as interchanging limits may not always be allowed.
Curl
Suppose f(x,y) is some continuous, smooth function with the property
[tex]\lim_{y \to 0}f(x,y)=1
[/tex]
and g(x) is some other continuous smooth function.
I want to know if this is true:
[tex]
\lim_{y \to 0} \int_{a}^{b}g(x)f(x,y)dx =? \int_{a}^{b}g(x)dx[/tex]

How can I show that it is or isn't true? For which case will it be true or not true?

Thanks

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Oh this is actually easy to see if you think of the integral as a Riemann sum.
I don't know why I always think of the solution right after I post the question.

So this is true in general, correct?

No, it certainly is not true in general. And I don't really know how Riemann sums help you here.

The problem is that you want to interchange two limits, this is not always allowed.

for your question! I would approach this problem by first understanding the definitions of limit and integration. A limit is the value that a function approaches as the input approaches a certain value, and integration is the process of finding the area under a curve.

In this case, we are looking at the limit of an integral. The integral is essentially the sum of infinitely small rectangles under a curve, and the limit is the value that these rectangles approach as the width of the rectangles approaches zero.

Based on the given information, we can see that the limit of the function f(x,y) as y approaches 0 is 1. This means that as y gets closer and closer to 0, the value of f(x,y) gets closer and closer to 1.

Now, let's consider the limit of the integral \int_{a}^{b}g(x)f(x,y)dx as y approaches 0. As y approaches 0, the function f(x,y) approaches 1, and the integral becomes \int_{a}^{b}g(x)dx. This is because the value of f(x,y) becomes constant (1) and can be factored out of the integral. Therefore, the limit of the integral is equal to the integral without the limit, or in other words, the limit and the integral can be interchanged.

To show that this is true, we can use the definition of the limit and the properties of integrals. We can also use the squeeze theorem, where we find two functions that are always smaller and larger than the original function, and show that they have the same limit.

In terms of when this will be true or not true, it will depend on the specific functions f(x,y) and g(x). As long as the conditions for the interchange of limit and integral hold (such as continuity and smoothness), then the statement will be true. However, if these conditions are not met, then the statement may not hold. It is important to carefully consider the properties of the functions involved to determine if the statement is true or not.

1. What is the difference between a limit and an integration?

A limit is a mathematical concept that represents the value a function approaches as its input approaches a certain value. It is used to study the behavior of a function near a particular input. Integration, on the other hand, is a mathematical operation that calculates the area under a curve or the accumulation of a quantity over a certain range. In simpler terms, a limit focuses on a single point, while integration looks at the entire range of a function.

2. How do I find the limit of a function?

To find the limit of a function, you can either use algebraic manipulation or apply the properties of limits. Algebraic manipulation involves simplifying the function algebraically until you can plug in the value of the limit. The properties of limits include the sum, difference, product, and quotient rules, which can be applied to solve more complex limit problems.

3. What is the fundamental theorem of calculus?

The fundamental theorem of calculus is a theorem that establishes the relationship between differentiation and integration. It states that if a function is continuous on an interval, then the definite integral of its derivative over that interval is equal to the difference of its values at the endpoints of the interval. In simpler terms, the theorem shows that integration and differentiation are inverse operations.

4. How do I find the area under a curve using integration?

To find the area under a curve using integration, you can use the definite integral formula. This involves finding the antiderivative of the function and plugging in the upper and lower limits of integration. The result will be the exact area under the curve.

5. How is integration used in real-life applications?

Integration has a wide range of real-life applications, including calculating the volume of 3D objects, determining the velocity and acceleration of moving objects, and finding the work done by a force. It is also used in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics to analyze and model various systems and processes.