Question on a book i am reading.

1. Hi I am reading the book "Introduction to logic and the methodology of deductive sciences" and I'm doing my best on understandig it and so far so good, but I ran to the example of the book: " for any number x, if x=0 or y not equal to 0, then there exists a number z such that x=y.z" I just want somebody to explain the sentential function and what does it mean and please give an example.

thank you very much.

2. jcsd
  3. It means division makes sense.

4. HallsofIvy

HallsofIvy 40,218
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

If y is not 0, then z= x/y. If x= 0 then you can take z= 0 whatever y is In either case you have a number z such that x= y.z. Or, as DeadWolfe said, "Division makes sense".

5. "Division makes sense" (to quote the other users).

In a commutative unitary ring R for all non-zero elements that have multiplication inverses. So if a is such an interger then b/a = b*c where c is the multiplicative inverse of b.

6. symbolipoint

symbolipoint 3,041
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What topic is this, and which named course would contain a study of this topic?

7. Sounds like number theory...

8. Abstract Algebra.

9. In this particular example, the author is trying to make
    points about the scope of the quantifiers (really nothing more).

Clearly, it's an open formula. So as it stands, it asserts nothing definite. It's neither true nor false. Meaning is really not relevant.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2007
Know someone interested in this topic? Share a link to this question via email, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook