Question on a particular integral property

In summary: Wald's hint is that this equation is true if you evaluate the derivative of the function at the point (x,a).
"Don't panic!"
I've been reading Wald's book on general relativity and in one of the questions at the end of chapter 2 he gives a hint which says to make use the following integral identity (for a smooth function in): [tex]F(x)=F(a)+\int_{0}^{1}F'(t(x-a)+a)dt[/tex]
Is this result true simply because [tex]\int_{0}^{1}F'(t(x-a)+a)dt=F(t(x-a)+a)\bigg\vert_{t=0}^{t=1}=F(x)-F(a)[/tex]
And so [tex]F(x)=F(a)+\int_{0}^{1}F'(t(x-a)+a)dt=F(a)+\left(F(x)-F(a)\right)[/tex]
Or is there a deeper explanation to it?
I get that one can arrive at this expression by starting from the fundamental theorem of calculus and making a change of variables, but I'm unsure of what he's trying to say with it?!

Physics news on Phys.org
Nothing deeper- that's basically why it is true. As to "what he's trying to say with it", I suspect that depends on what he is try to do.

I should mention sloppy notation here. The formula is true if ##F'(t(x-a) + a)## is understood as derivative of the function ##\phi##, ##\phi(t) = F(t(x-a) + a)## (evaluated at ##t##). However, in the standard notation ##F'(t(x-a) + a)## means the derivative of ##F## evaluated at the point ##t(x-a) + a## , and in this case the formula is false (consider say ##F(x) =x##, ##a=0##).

Likes PeroK
Yes, I admit it is a bit sloppy, I was just copying over the notation that Wald gives it in. I'm assuming he meant [itex] F'(t(x-a) +a)=\frac{dF(t(x-a)+a)}{dt}[/itex]?!

He gives it in a question in which he asks the reader to prove by induction that for any smooth function [itex] F : \mathbb{R} ^{n} \rightarrow \mathbb{R} ^{n} [/itex] one can express it as the following power series (i. e. a Taylor series) [itex] F(x) =F(a) +\sum_{i=1}^{\infty}(x^{i}-a^{i})H_{i}(x)[/itex], where [itex] x=(x^{1},\ldots,x^{n}) [/itex] and [itex] a=(a^{1},\ldots,a^{n}) [/itex], and in particular, [itex] \frac{\partial F} {\partial x^{i}} \bigg\vert_{x=a} =H_{i} (a) [/itex]. He gives a hint that for [itex] n=1[/itex], you should use the "known" identity I gave in my first post. I can do the first step in the induction process, by starting from the fundamental theorem of calculus and making a change of variables, but I'm not entirely sure what this is showing. I'm also unsure how to proceed after making the induction step?!

You just should apply the formula $$\phi(1) = \phi(0) +\int_0^1 \phi'(t) dt$$ (the fundamental theorem of calculus) to $$\phi(t) = F(a+(x-a)t). $$

1. What is a particular integral property?

A particular integral property refers to a specific solution to a differential equation that satisfies a given set of initial conditions. It is a unique solution that can be found by using the method of undetermined coefficients or variation of parameters.

2. How is a particular integral property different from a general solution?

A general solution to a differential equation includes all possible solutions, while a particular integral property is a specific solution that satisfies a given set of initial conditions. A general solution also includes a constant term, whereas a particular integral property does not.

3. Can a particular integral property be used to solve any type of differential equation?

No, a particular integral property can only be used to solve linear differential equations with constant coefficients. Other types of differential equations, such as nonlinear or variable coefficient equations, require different methods of solving.

4. How do you find a particular integral property?

To find a particular integral property, you can use the method of undetermined coefficients or variation of parameters. These methods involve finding a particular solution that satisfies the given initial conditions by guessing a solution in the form of a polynomial, exponential, or trigonometric function.

5. Why is finding a particular integral property important in solving differential equations?

Finding a particular integral property is important because it helps us find a specific solution that satisfies the given initial conditions. This allows us to solve real-world problems and make predictions based on the behavior of the system described by the differential equation.