Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question on Basic Topology, open sets

1. Oct 5, 2006 #1
    In a euclidean space X with two subsets E and F, the subset E+F is defined as the collection of all x+y, where x E and y F. “+” denotes the addition in the euclidean space. Prove that if E and F are open, then E + F is open.

I'd really appreciate your help. Thanks so much!
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 5, 2006 #2
    Given that E and F are open for the remainder of this.

E + F = {x | x is an element of E or x is an element of F}

The definition the E + F given is also the definition of E union F.

Now it needs to be proved that the union of open sets is open. Your book should have a theorem and a proof of this so I will not prove it here due to lack of ability to write in proper notation.
  4. Oct 5, 2006 #3
    That's what I thought at first, but E+F isn't quite the union of E and F. In other words, if E is something like {1,3,5} and F is {20,40,60}, E+F does not contain any point in E or F. So I'm not sure that's the right proof.
  5. Oct 5, 2006 #4
    So, are you saying given those sets you defined E + F = {21, 43, 65} ?
  6. Oct 5, 2006 #5
    well yes, but also 23, 25, 41, etc
  7. Oct 6, 2006 #6

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Let p be in E+ F. Then p= x+ y for some x in E, y in F. Since E is open, there exist [itex]\delta_1[/itex] such that the [itex]\delta_1[/itex] neighborhood of x is as subset of E. Since F is open, there exist [itex]\delta_2[/itex] such that the [itex]\delta_2[/itex] neighborhood of y is a subset of F. Now let [itex]\delta= \delta_1+ \delta_2[/itex] and show that the [itex]\delta[/itex] neighborhood of p= x+y is in E+ F.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?