1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question on circular motion and newton's laws

1. Oct 29, 2007 #1
    1. What are the action/reaction forces when twirling a rubber stopper attached to a string? How does circular motion illustrate newton's first law?

2. F=ma

3. I thought about centripetal and centrifugal, but my teacher said centrifugal force isnt a real force.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 29, 2007 #2

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Your teacher of course is correct. When you talk of 'action/reaction' forces, you're talking usually about Newton's 3rd Law 'force pairs', whereby if A exerts a force on B, then B exerts a force on A that is equal in magnitude but opposite in direction to it. Does that help?

4. Oct 29, 2007 #3
    yea, but i can only think of the tension force, i cant think of the opposite to that. how about the force applied by the hand and the tension force?

5. Oct 29, 2007 #4

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, that's one of them. If the hand pulls on the string creating a force in the string, then what can you say about the force of the string on the hand? What about the stopper/string force pair?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?