Newton's 2nd Law: Why is Resistance Considered a Positive Force?

In summary, the authors of this physics book say that the resistive force is opposite to the motion, and that the net force is equal to mass times acceleration, not just the resistive force.
Fakhro
Homework Statement
An airboat with mass 3.50 3 102 kg, including the passenger,
has an engine that produces a net horizontal force of 7.70 3 102 N,
after accounting for forces of resistance (see Fig. 4.7). (a) Find the acceleration
of the airboat. (b) Starting from rest, how long does it take the
airboat to reach a speed of 12.0 m/s? (c) After reaching that speed, the
pilot turns off the engine and drifts to a stop over a distance of 50.0 m.
Find the resistance force, assuming it’s constant.
Relevant Equations
Newton's 2nd law of motion
regarding the last question.

I know that resistance is a negative force because it goes in the opposite direction to the movement of the boat. So whenever, I want to apply Newton's 2nd law of motion: the sum of forces = m a
I should write - F resit = m.a.
However, they have considered the resistance a positive force in this exercise. Why?

Physics news on Phys.org
Fakhro said:
I should write - F resit = m.a
Are you talking about part (a) or part (c)? If it's part (a), Newton's second law says that the net force is equal to mass times acceleration, not just the resistive force. What is the net force in part (a)?
Fakhro said:
However, they have considered the resistance a positive force in this exercise. Why?
Please tell us who "they" are and exactly what "they" said. I agree that the resistive force is opposite to the motion.

Likes topsquark
kuruman said:
Are you talking about part (a) or part (c)? If it's part (a), Newton's second law says that the net force is equal to mass times acceleration, not just the resistive force. What is the net force in part (a)?

Please tell us who "they" are and exactly what "they" said. I agree that the resistive force is opposite to the motion.
Sir, when I say the last question I mean C.
the problem is not of who are. "they".
the problem lies in the exercise. In the end, the resistance force was listed as a positive force when Newton's second law was applied. the sum of forces = m a / F resit = m.a.
whereas it should be written as - F resit = m.a.

This exercise is from a physics book. They mean the authors.

As I already said, you are right in saying that the resistive is opposite to the motion. If you have a number for the resistive force, say 50 N, then a correctly phrased answer would be "the resistive force is 50 N in a direction opposite to the velocity." That says it all. If the textbook gives you just a positive number as the answer, then it is incorrect because force is a vector that has magntude and direction.

For future reference, please post numbers, especially powers of 10, sing LaTeX. If you have not used LaTeX before, click in the link "LaTeX Guide", lower left. Numbers such as 3.50 3 102 kg are hard to interpret. Thank you.

Likes topsquark

1. What is Newton's 2nd Law?

Newton's 2nd Law, also known as the Law of Acceleration, states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on the object and inversely proportional to its mass.

2. What is resistance in relation to Newton's 2nd Law?

In the context of Newton's 2nd Law, resistance refers to the opposing force that an object experiences as it moves through a medium, such as air or water.

3. Why is resistance considered a positive force?

Resistance is considered a positive force because it acts in the opposite direction of the object's motion and helps to slow down or stop the object's acceleration. It is also necessary for an object to overcome resistance in order to move through a medium.

4. How does resistance affect an object's acceleration?

The greater the resistance an object experiences, the more it will slow down the object's acceleration. This is because resistance adds to the net force acting on the object, making it more difficult for the object to accelerate.

5. Can resistance ever be a negative force?

No, resistance is always considered a positive force in the context of Newton's 2nd Law. Even if an object is slowing down due to resistance, it is still acting in the opposite direction of the object's motion and therefore considered a positive force.