Question on conservation of momentum

In summary, the problem involves a 56-kg woman on a 147-kg raft at rest in crocodile-infested waters. She needs to jump from the raft to a platform several meters away and takes a running start, reaching 4.6 m/s relative to the raft at the north end. To determine her velocity relative to the water, the equations Pjw = Pjr + Prw and Vjw = Vjr + Vrw are used, with Vjr given and Vrw being the unknown. By combining these equations and solving for Vrw, it can be determined that the woman's velocity relative to the water is 4.6 m/s, the same as her velocity relative to the raft.
lilmul123

Homework Statement

A 56-kg woman contestant on a reality television show is at rest at the south end of a horizontal 147-kg raft that is floating in crocodile-infested waters. She and the raft are initially at rest. She needs to jump from the raft to a platform that is several meters off the north end of the raft. She takes a running start. When she reaches the north end of the raft she is running at 4.6 m/s relative to the raft. At that instant, what is her velocity relative to the water?

Homework Equations

Psystem = Pwoman + Praft = 0

Pwoman(f) - Pwoman(i) + Praft(f) - Praft(i) = 0

The Attempt at a Solution

I've split up the momentums into their each individual parts. The mass of the woman is 56kg, the raft is 147kg, and this is where I'm stuck. I believe that Pwoman(i) and Praft(i) are 0 because they both are initially at rest. Now I have Pwoman(f) + Praft(f) = 0. I don't know where to plug in her speed (Pwoman or Praft?), and either way, I would get a negative answer. Can someone help me figure out where to go from here?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi lilmul123! :smile:

In questions about relative velocities, you really need two subscripts, not one.

Call the woman j, the raft r, and the water w.

[STRIKE]Then Pjw, for example, would be the momentum of the woman relative to the water.

And Pjw = Pjr + Prw.[/STRIKE]

Then Vjw, for example, would be the velocity of the woman relative to the water.

And Vjw = Vjr + Vrw. :wink:

Last edited:
How do I figure out the speed of the raft relative to the water?

lilmul123 said:
How do I figure out the speed of the raft relative to the water?

(On second thoughts, my last post was rather confusing when it talked about momentum, so I've edited it :redface:)

The question gives you Vjr.

So find a physics equation relating Vjw and Vrw,

and combine it with the geometry equation Vjw = Vjr + Vrw. :smile:

1. What is conservation of momentum?

Conservation of momentum is a fundamental law of physics that states that the total momentum of a closed system remains constant, regardless of any internal or external forces acting on the system.

2. Why is conservation of momentum important?

Conservation of momentum is important because it helps us understand the behavior of objects in motion and predict the outcome of collisions and other interactions between objects. It is also a key principle in many areas of physics, including mechanics, thermodynamics, and electromagnetism.

3. How is conservation of momentum related to Newton's laws of motion?

Conservation of momentum is a consequence of Newton's third law of motion, which states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. In other words, when two objects interact, the total momentum of the system remains constant because the forces exerted on each other are equal and opposite.

4. Can momentum be created or destroyed?

No, momentum cannot be created or destroyed. It can only be transferred between objects through interactions such as collisions or forces. This is known as the principle of conservation of momentum.

5. What are some real-life examples of conservation of momentum?

Some examples of conservation of momentum in everyday life include billiards, where the momentum of the cue ball is transferred to the other balls, and rockets, where the momentum of the exhaust gas propels the rocket forward. Car accidents and sports collisions also demonstrate the principle of conservation of momentum.