Question on elementary statics multiple choice

In summary, the conversation is about trying to solve for T in an equation involving torques. The attempted solution involved using the equation sum of torques = 0 and resulted in an answer that was not one of the options. The question of whether answer 4) had a typo was raised, and if it did, that would be the correct answer. There was frustration expressed towards the authors of the test questions.
RoboNerd

Homework Statement

Untitled 2.jpg

Homework Equations

sum of torques = 0

The Attempt at a Solution

So I tried to put the torques into the equation:

Sum torques = mgL - T *sin(theta) * (L-x) = 0.

Solving for the T gave me [mgL]/[ (L-x) * sin(theta) ]. This is not an option in the answers.
Could anyone please help me out in understanding where I possibly derailed, and why the authors think the answer is 4. Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
What if answer 4) has a typo, and it should read: ##\frac{mgL}{(L-x)sin\, \theta}## ?

Likes RoboNerd
If yes, then that is the answer. The test questions are written by some crummy authors [thanks a lot whoever you are!]

Thanks for the help!

1. What is statics?

Statics is a branch of mechanics that studies the behavior of objects at rest or in a state of constant motion.

2. What is elementary statics?

Elementary statics is a basic level of statics that covers fundamental concepts and principles of statics, such as equilibrium, forces, and moments.

3. What types of problems are typically found in elementary statics multiple choice questions?

Elementary statics multiple choice questions typically cover topics such as forces on a body, free body diagrams, moments, and equilibrium equations.

4. How should I approach solving an elementary statics multiple choice question?

It is important to carefully read the question and identify the key concepts and principles being tested. Then, use your knowledge of those concepts to eliminate incorrect answer choices and choose the best answer.

5. Are there any resources available to help prepare for elementary statics multiple choice questions?

Yes, there are many resources available such as textbooks, online tutorials, and practice problems that can help you prepare for elementary statics multiple choice questions. It is also helpful to work through problems with a study group or seek assistance from a tutor or teacher.