Question on finding the frequency of a sound wave

In this case, the distance is given as 7.55 m, so λ/4 = 7.55 m. Solving for λ, we get λ = 30.2 m. Using the equation v = λf, with the given speed of sound in air (343 m/s), we can solve for the frequency. In summary, the frequency of the standing sound wave is 11.34 Hz.
theskyisgreen

Homework Statement

The distance between a node and the nearest antinode of a standing sound wave in air is 7.55 m. What is the frequency of this wave? (Use 343 m/s as the speed of sound in air.)

Homework Equations

velocity = wavelength * frequency

The Attempt at a Solution

I started by trying to find the wavelength which I deemed to be 7.55*2 = 15.1
I then just plugged it into the equation above, which got me to:
343 = 15.1 * frequency
I found the frequency to be 22.72 Hz, but apparently it's wrong and I don't understand why.

Physics news on Phys.org
The distance between a node and the nearest antinode of a standing sound wave is λ/4.

1. What is the frequency of a sound wave?

The frequency of a sound wave refers to the number of cycles or vibrations that occur per second. It is typically measured in Hertz (Hz).

2. How is the frequency of a sound wave measured?

The frequency of a sound wave can be measured using specialized equipment such as an oscilloscope or a frequency counter. It can also be calculated by dividing the speed of sound by the wavelength of the wave.

3. Why is it important to know the frequency of a sound wave?

The frequency of a sound wave can provide important information about the source of the sound, such as the type of instrument or the distance between the source and the listener. It can also affect how we perceive and interpret the sound.

4. How does the frequency of a sound wave affect its pitch?

The frequency of a sound wave is directly related to its pitch. A higher frequency corresponds to a higher pitch, while a lower frequency corresponds to a lower pitch. This is why different musical notes have different frequencies.

5. Can the frequency of a sound wave be changed?

Yes, the frequency of a sound wave can be changed through various methods such as altering the speed of the source or changing the medium through which the sound travels. Additionally, electronic devices can manipulate the frequency of a sound wave, allowing for a wide range of pitches and tones in music and other applications.