1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding the frequency of a vibrating particle on a string?

1. Jan 14, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A particle of mass m is on a massless string of length 3a, which is held horizontally across with a tension T(which you can assume doesn't change with the small vibrations). The particle is a distance of a from one of the edges. Set up a diff. equation that describes the particles motion with time and find its frequency of oscillations.

2. Relevant equations
    mx'' = net force
    x''+(ω^2)x=0 => x=Acos(ωt+φ)
    3. The attempt at a solution
    I originally wrote mx'' = T - mg but this doesn't work since it doesn't involve x and doesn't account for the changing sign of T depending if that particle is above or below the equilibrium point. I tried to describe its position but the best I could do was x(θ) = arctan(x/a) and not x(t) which is what I want (at least I think because then I could take the derivative twice and get the acceleration). Any tips would be appreciated!

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 14, 2016 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Welcome to PF;
    Presumably the particle is displaced and then released or something?
    You need to start by drawing a diagram of the string and mass when the mass has some arbitrary displacement from it's equilibrium.
    Then draw the free body diagram for the mass - notice that T points along the string.
    Try to reserve bold-face for vectors only.

4. Jan 14, 2016 #3
    That would make more sense... I was only thinking of the component of T parallel to the particles displacement. Thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted