Finding the frequency of a vibrating particle on a string?

In summary, the conversation is about setting up a differential equation to describe the motion of a particle on a massless string and finding its frequency of oscillations. The equation is mx'' = net force and the solution is x=Acos(ωt+φ). The conversation also includes discussing the free body diagram and the importance of drawing a diagram to understand the displacement and free body forces.
kregg87

Homework Statement

A particle of mass m is on a massless string of length 3a, which is held horizontally across with a tension T(which you can assume doesn't change with the small vibrations). The particle is a distance of a from one of the edges. Set up a diff. equation that describes the particles motion with time and find its frequency of oscillations.

Homework Equations

mx'' = net force
x''+(ω^2)x=0 => x=Acos(ωt+φ)

The Attempt at a Solution

I originally wrote mx'' = T - mg but this doesn't work since it doesn't involve x and doesn't account for the changing sign of T depending if that particle is above or below the equilibrium point. I tried to describe its position but the best I could do was x(θ) = arctan(x/a) and not x(t) which is what I want (at least I think because then I could take the derivative twice and get the acceleration). Any tips would be appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF;
Presumably the particle is displaced and then released or something?
You need to start by drawing a diagram of the string and mass when the mass has some arbitrary displacement from it's equilibrium.
Then draw the free body diagram for the mass - notice that T points along the string.
Try to reserve bold-face for vectors only.

Simon Bridge said:
Welcome to PF;
Presumably the particle is displaced and then released or something?
You need to start by drawing a diagram of the string and mass when the mass has some arbitrary displacement from it's equilibrium.
Then draw the free body diagram for the mass - notice that T points along the string.
Try to reserve bold-face for vectors only.

That would make more sense... I was only thinking of the component of T parallel to the particles displacement. Thanks!

Likes Simon Bridge

What is a vibrating particle on a string?

A vibrating particle on a string refers to a small portion of a string that is in motion due to the string being plucked or struck. The vibration of the string causes the particle to move back and forth, creating sound waves.

What is frequency and how is it related to a vibrating particle on a string?

Frequency is the number of vibrations or cycles that occur in a given time period. In the case of a vibrating particle on a string, frequency is the number of back and forth movements the particle makes in one second.

Why is it important to find the frequency of a vibrating particle on a string?

Finding the frequency of a vibrating particle on a string is important because it allows us to understand the pitch or tone of the sound being produced. Higher frequencies result in higher pitched sounds, while lower frequencies result in lower pitched sounds.

How can the frequency of a vibrating particle on a string be calculated?

The frequency of a vibrating particle on a string can be calculated by dividing the speed of the wave by the wavelength of the wave. The speed of the wave can be determined by the tension and mass of the string, while the wavelength can be measured by the distance between two consecutive crests or troughs of the wave.

What factors can affect the frequency of a vibrating particle on a string?

The frequency of a vibrating particle on a string can be affected by the tension and mass of the string, as well as the length of the string. Changes in any of these factors can alter the frequency and therefore the pitch of the sound produced.