Finding the frequency and wavelength of an electromagnetic wave

In summary, the frequency of an electromagnetic wave does not change when passing from water to glass, as the number of waves per second must remain constant. However, the velocity and wavelength of the wave will both decrease due to the change in medium.
aChordate

Homework Statement

photo-3 (2).jpg

Homework Equations

photo.jpg

The Attempt at a Solution

photo.jpg

Do I set up a proportion to first find the frequency of the electromagnetic wave in glass?

1.33/(3.42*1014)=1.62/fglass= 4.17*1014

Physics news on Phys.org
aChordate said:

Homework Statement

View attachment 60137

Homework Equations

View attachment 60138

The Attempt at a Solution

View attachment 60138

Do I set up a proportion to first find the frequency of the electromagnetic wave in glass?

1.33/(3.42*1014)=1.62/fglass= 4.17*1014

Put the equations aside for a minute and imagine your wave propagating from water into glass. Can the frequency change?

I was wondering about that. I wouldn't think the frequency or the wavelength would change. Maybe it would just be slowed down??

aChordate said:
I was wondering about that. I wouldn't think the frequency or the wavelength would change. Maybe it would just be slowed down??

Pick a point in the water and imagine you have 100 waves/sec passing by. Now pick a point in the glass. You must also have 100 waves/sec passing by, otherwise some waves are getting lost somewhere in between. Can't happen. Now tell me again what can change.

So the frequency changes, but not the wavelength?

aChordate said:
So the frequency changes, but not the wavelength?

That's sort of the opposite of what I was trying to convey. If 100 waves/sec go in one end then 100 waves/sec must come out the other end, otherwise something is eating waves in between. That's not the picture. I'm trying to convince you the frequency can't change. So two other things must change.

Wavelength and velocity.

Glass would decrease the velocity and also decrease the wavelength (?)

aChordate said:
Wavelength and velocity.

Glass would decrease the velocity and also decrease the wavelength (?)

Sure!

Likes 1 person

1. What is the relationship between frequency and wavelength of an electromagnetic wave?

The frequency and wavelength of an electromagnetic wave are inversely related. This means that as the frequency increases, the wavelength decreases, and vice versa. This relationship is described by the equation: wavelength = speed of light / frequency.

2. How is the frequency of an electromagnetic wave measured?

The frequency of an electromagnetic wave is measured in units of hertz (Hz), which represents the number of oscillations per second. This can be measured using specialized equipment such as an oscilloscope or a spectrometer.

3. Can the frequency and wavelength of an electromagnetic wave be changed?

Yes, the frequency and wavelength of an electromagnetic wave can be changed by altering the properties of the source of the wave. For example, changing the voltage of an oscillator can change the frequency of the electromagnetic waves it produces.

4. How does the frequency of an electromagnetic wave affect its energy?

The energy of an electromagnetic wave is directly proportional to its frequency. This means that as the frequency increases, the energy of the wave also increases. This relationship is described by the equation: energy = Planck's constant x frequency.

5. What is the range of frequencies and wavelengths for electromagnetic waves?

Electromagnetic waves span a wide range of frequencies and wavelengths, from extremely low frequency radio waves with wavelengths of kilometers, to high frequency gamma rays with wavelengths of less than a nanometer. This range is known as the electromagnetic spectrum.