Finding the frequency and wavelength of an electromagnetic wave

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
7 replies · 2K views
aChordate
Messages
76
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



photo-3 (2).jpg



Homework Equations



photo.jpg


The Attempt at a Solution



photo.jpg


Do I set up a proportion to first find the frequency of the electromagnetic wave in glass?

1.33/(3.42*1014)=1.62/fglass= 4.17*1014
 
Physics news on Phys.org
aChordate said:

Homework Statement



View attachment 60137


Homework Equations



View attachment 60138

The Attempt at a Solution



View attachment 60138

Do I set up a proportion to first find the frequency of the electromagnetic wave in glass?

1.33/(3.42*1014)=1.62/fglass= 4.17*1014

Put the equations aside for a minute and imagine your wave propagating from water into glass. Can the frequency change?
 
I was wondering about that. I wouldn't think the frequency or the wavelength would change. Maybe it would just be slowed down??
 
aChordate said:
I was wondering about that. I wouldn't think the frequency or the wavelength would change. Maybe it would just be slowed down??

Pick a point in the water and imagine you have 100 waves/sec passing by. Now pick a point in the glass. You must also have 100 waves/sec passing by, otherwise some waves are getting lost somewhere in between. Can't happen. Now tell me again what can change.
 
So the frequency changes, but not the wavelength?
 
aChordate said:
So the frequency changes, but not the wavelength?

That's sort of the opposite of what I was trying to convey. If 100 waves/sec go in one end then 100 waves/sec must come out the other end, otherwise something is eating waves in between. That's not the picture. I'm trying to convince you the frequency can't change. So two other things must change.
 
Wavelength and velocity.

Glass would decrease the velocity and also decrease the wavelength (?)
 
aChordate said:
Wavelength and velocity.

Glass would decrease the velocity and also decrease the wavelength (?)

Sure!
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: 1 person