1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding the frequency and wavelength of an electromagnetic wave

1. Jul 8, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

photo-3 (2).jpg

2. Relevant equations

photo.jpg

3. The attempt at a solution

photo.jpg

Do I set up a proportion to first find the frequency of the electromagnetic wave in glass?

1.33/(3.42*1014)=1.62/fglass= 4.17*1014

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 8, 2013 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Put the equations aside for a minute and imagine your wave propagating from water into glass. Can the frequency change?

4. Jul 8, 2013 #3
    I was wondering about that. I wouldn't think the frequency or the wavelength would change. Maybe it would just be slowed down??

5. Jul 8, 2013 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Pick a point in the water and imagine you have 100 waves/sec passing by. Now pick a point in the glass. You must also have 100 waves/sec passing by, otherwise some waves are getting lost somewhere in between. Can't happen. Now tell me again what can change.

6. Jul 8, 2013 #5
    So the frequency changes, but not the wavelength?

7. Jul 8, 2013 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That's sort of the opposite of what I was trying to convey. If 100 waves/sec go in one end then 100 waves/sec must come out the other end, otherwise something is eating waves in between. That's not the picture. I'm trying to convince you the frequency can't change. So two other things must change.

8. Jul 8, 2013 #7
    Wavelength and velocity.

Glass would decrease the velocity and also decrease the wavelength (?)

9. Jul 8, 2013 #8

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Sure!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted