Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question on moment distrobution with sway

1. Nov 7, 2008 #1
    hello there i have this question that seems quite compilcated, i was hoping some one could help me into solving it.

basically i have a frame that can be seen in the diagram, i have to work out the vertical and horizontal components at point D. i was curious as to how i can do it.

i know it works on the principles of useing total moments = moments before sway + a(moments after sway) but i am a little concerned with the applied forces being on the joints themselves, along with the incline of both AB and CD - which makes it harder to find the orgin of rotation.

any help would be appricated thanks

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 8, 2008 #2
  4. Nov 15, 2008 #3
    if you are confused to disintegrate your frame member where a force on it you can cut your pins(joints) locations like in this [​IMG]

and consider as these cuts are so close to joints and then cont. as you solve cut in any point of member where there are normal, shear and internal moments are exist
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?