1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question on Piezoelectric effect

1. Jul 18, 2006 #1
    I was reading about the piezoelectric effect in ultrasound and I am not sure how it works. Do you apply a voltage to the quartz crystal to achieve an alternating electric field or mechanical stress to the crystal? How does applying stress to the crystal create an alternating electric field?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 18, 2006 #2
    Lasers

Not related to piezo electric effect but my lecture notes seem to neglect to state how in "stimulated emission" does the electron gets to an excited state before the incoming photons collides with it? How are stimulated emission related to spontaneous emission?

In a laser, an energy source is needed to excite the gas or crystal in the tube to produce the beam. How does the energy source create the excitation in the gas/crystal ?

What is population inversion in laser?

Last edited: Jul 18, 2006
  4. Jul 18, 2006 #3

Andrew Mason

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Without in any way intending to be unkind or to discourage your obviouis interest in the subject of physics, this is a homework board and most of the posters are not inclined to writing text-book answers. Unfortunately, these questions need text book length answers.

AM

5. Jul 20, 2006 #4
    its alrite, my physics exam is over. thanks anyway :smile:

6. Jul 20, 2006 #5

andrevdh

Homework Helper

Last edited: Jul 21, 2006
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?