Question on Terminal Velocity finding time

In summary: How fast must each diver dive to reach the other?In summary, to reach Skydiver A, the second diver must dive at 90 m/s for 37 seconds.
baird.lindsay

Homework Statement

I have two skydivers umping out of a plane at 5000m . Skydiver A is using extended arms and reaching a terminal velocity of 41.53m/s. Skydiver B jumping 20 second later headdown and reaching a terminal velocity at 90 m/s. The question is to find the time the second diver must dive in the headdown position to reach Skydiver A. I know the drag forces for each of the skydivers. Cofnused on how to find the time. The answer of the time is 37 seconds but not sure how to get there

Homework Equations

kinematics? vf=vi + at

The Attempt at a Solution

im not sure I tried using vf^2=vi^2+ 2as to find distance from the earth
but the number didnt make sense to me. I think I got 88 m from Earth to reach
terminal velocity... not sure...

Physics news on Phys.org
terminal velocity... not sure...[/QUOTE]

This equation only works if you have a constant acceleration, but do you have that in this case? What about after you reach terminal velocity?

Are you given a time that it takes to reach the terminal velocity?

rodriguez1gv said:
terminal velocity... not sure...

This equation only works if you have a constant acceleration, but do you have that in this case? What about after you reach terminal velocity?

Are you given a time that it takes to reach the terminal velocity?[/QUOTE]

no it doesnt:( but yes after if your terminal velocity...theres no time in the problem...not sure what to do..

You are supposed to ignore whatever happens before they reach their terminal velocities, and just use the terminal velocities to solve the problem.

What do you have for the drag forces?

voko said:
You are supposed to ignore whatever happens before they reach their terminal velocities, and just use the terminal velocities to solve the problem.

how would I go about that?

Assume that both divers acquire their terminal velocities immediately.

1. How do you calculate terminal velocity?

Terminal velocity can be calculated using the formula v = √(2mg/ρACd) where v is the terminal velocity, m is the mass of the object, g is the acceleration due to gravity, ρ is the density of the fluid, A is the projected area of the object, and Cd is the drag coefficient.

2. What factors affect terminal velocity?

Terminal velocity is affected by the mass and shape of the object, the density of the fluid it is falling through, and the drag coefficient of the object.

3. How does altitude affect terminal velocity?

As altitude increases, the density of the atmosphere decreases, resulting in a lower terminal velocity. This is because there is less air resistance at higher altitudes.

4. Can terminal velocity be exceeded?

Yes, terminal velocity can be exceeded if the force acting on the object is greater than the drag force. This can happen in cases of extreme air resistance or if the object is propelled by an external force.

5. How does surface area affect terminal velocity?

In general, the larger the surface area of an object, the lower its terminal velocity will be. This is because a larger surface area creates more air resistance, slowing down the object's fall.