Question on Waves and Interference

In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of two in-phase loudspeakers separated by a distance of 1.60 m. The listener, located 3.90 m in front of one of the speakers, hears a minimum signal when the frequencies are in the audible range of 20-20,000 Hz. The conversation also explores the maximum signal frequencies and the use of equations to solve the problem. The path length difference between the speakers is found to be .32 m, and this value is used to determine the minimum and maximum frequencies for constructive and destructive interference. The frequency for the minimum signal is calculated to be 543.67 Hz, and the maximum signal is found to occur at integer multiples of that frequency. The conversation also
yanimated
Please help! I've been stuck on this for a very very long time :confused: .

Homework Statement

Two loudspeakers, separated by a distance of d1 = 1.60 m, are in phase. Assume the amplitudes of the sound from the speakers are approximately the same at the position of a listener, who is d2 = 3.90 m directly in front of one of the speakers.

See Diagram: http://www.webassign.net/hrw/18_32alt.gif"

(a) For what frequencies in the audible range (20-20,000 Hz) does the listener hear a minimum signal? (Give the lowest, second lowest and highest possible frequencies in the audible range.)

I JUST FIGURED THIS ONE OUT:(b) For what frequencies is the signal a maximum? (Give the lowest, second lowest and highest possible frequencies in the audible range.)KEY: d = delta, f = frequency, v = velocity of air, dL = path length difference, m = nodes I assume?

If not, what's m in the equation (seen below)?

Homework Equations

dL = (m+.5)(v/f)
v = 343 m/s

The Attempt at a Solution

d3 = squareroot(1.6^2 + 3.9^2) = 4.22 m

I was able to derive this: f = (m+.5)(v/dL) from the dL equation given.

Phase difference at the person is = 2pi(d3-d2)/lamda
For minimum intensity at the listener, phasediff = (2m+1)pi
and lamda = 2pi(d3-d2)/phasediff

freq = v/lamda = [(2m+1)v]/[2(d3-d2)]
and that leaves me with (2m+1)[v/(2(d3-d2))]

[v/(2(d3-d2))] = frequency that I get
For me, it's 543.67Hz.

And 20000Hz/543.67Hz = 37.3
2m+1 = 37

So m needs to be between 1 and 18 I believe...

I figured out part b.:rofl:

lamda = (1/n)(d3-d2)
so f = v/lamda = nv/(d3-d2) = n(1088.89Hz)

20,000Hz/1088.89Hz = 18.37

n = 1 through 18

Plug in 1, 2, and 18 for frequencies...

But I'm still wrong for part a...:mad: :grumpy: :frown: :bugeye: :devil: :yuck: :cry: :zzz:

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Now here is a prof I like right away. One of my favorite ugrad courses "physics of hi-fi"

The path length difference between the right and left speakers is
sqrt(d2^2+d1^2)-d2=Diff. When that difference is a complete wavelength, the two add to produce a maxima, when it is a 1/2 wavelength, you get destructive interference. So the first maxima would occur at a wavelength of .32m and integer multiples of this frequency. Help at all?

M by the way is the wave number, it starts at zero to capture the first minima, when it is 1, you get the first max

Last edited:
You lost me in the last sentence. I understand your response until the sentence ending with "destructive interference." How did you come up with .32m for the wavelength?

I played around a bit more and here's what I've figured out since posting. Also added this to the original post:

Phase difference at the person is = 2pi(d3-d2)/lamda
For minimum intensity at the listener, phasediff = (2m+1)pi
and lamda = 2pi(d3-d2)/phasediff

freq = v/lamda = [(2m+1)v]/[2(d3-d2)]
and that leaves me with (2m+1)[v/(2(d3-d2))]

[v/(2(d3-d2))] = frequency that I get
For me, it's 543.67Hz.

And 20000Hz/543.67Hz = 37.3
2m+1 = 37

So m needs to be between 1 and 18 I believe?

I'm pretty sure I'm close...but somehow the answers I'm getting are still incorrect.

the .32 is from your math--hypotenuse minus D2. Thats the path length difference, so for constructive interference to occur, the wavelength is equal to that distance or some integer multiple numbers of wavelengths. Forget the profs eqn for a minute as that doesn't add to really understanding the problem. Think about the waves from the two speakers. They can completely add, cancel or mostly do a bit of one or the other depending on their arrival times. so the lowest frequency where they cancel, the diff in pathlengths=1 wavelength=C/f. Help at all?

1. What is a wave?

A wave is a disturbance that travels through a medium, transferring energy from one point to another without transferring matter.

2. What is the difference between transverse and longitudinal waves?

Transverse waves are characterized by the displacement of particles in a medium perpendicular to the direction of the wave's propagation. Longitudinal waves, on the other hand, have particles that move parallel to the direction of the wave's propagation.

3. What is interference in waves?

Interference occurs when two or more waves interact with each other. This can result in constructive interference, where the waves reinforce each other, or destructive interference, where the waves cancel each other out.

4. What is the principle of superposition?

The principle of superposition states that when two or more waves meet at a point, the resulting displacement is equal to the sum of the individual displacements of the waves.

5. How does interference affect the amplitude of a wave?

Interference can either increase or decrease the amplitude of a wave, depending on whether it is constructive or destructive. When waves interfere constructively, their amplitudes add together, resulting in a larger amplitude. When waves interfere destructively, their amplitudes cancel each other out, resulting in a smaller amplitude.