Question pertaining to magnets

• Thread starter Dragonite
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Magnets
In summary, magnets work by creating a magnetic field which pulls on other magnetic materials. They can lose their magnetism over time and there are three main types: permanent, temporary, and electromagnets. Magnets have various uses in everyday items, as well as in industries such as aerospace and medicine. Safety precautions should be taken when handling magnets, including keeping them away from small children and electronic devices.
Dragonite
I'm trying to build a tesla turbine. I'm trying to follow the instructions here. However, the turbine calls for neodymium magnets, which I can't seem to find. Would other magnets work?

Physics news on Phys.org
You don't really need magnets at all - you can just glue them together, using just about anything for a spacer.

I'm having ads for neodymium magnets on this very webpage.

@russ watters - Ah. I see. Thank you very much.
@Dr Lots-o'watts - Thank you, but I prefer not to buy things over the internet.

Great question! The type of magnet used in a tesla turbine is important because it affects the efficiency and performance of the turbine. Neodymium magnets are commonly used because they are strong and have a high resistance to demagnetization. Other types of magnets, such as ferrite or ceramic magnets, may not provide the same level of performance and may not be suitable for use in a tesla turbine.

If you are having trouble finding neodymium magnets, I would recommend reaching out to a supplier that specializes in magnets or contacting the manufacturer of the turbine for recommendations on where to purchase the necessary magnets. It's important to use the specified type of magnet to ensure the proper functioning of the turbine and to achieve the desired results.

FAQ: Question pertaining to magnets

1. How do magnets work?

Magnets work by creating a magnetic field around them, which is a force that pulls on other magnetic materials. This is due to the alignment of electrons within the magnet, which creates a north and south pole.

2. Can magnets lose their magnetism?

Yes, magnets can lose their magnetism over time. This can happen if they are exposed to high temperatures, strong electromagnetic fields, or are dropped or struck.

3. What are the different types of magnets?

The three main types of magnets are permanent magnets, temporary magnets, and electromagnets. Permanent magnets, such as those made of iron or steel, retain their magnetism without an external source. Temporary magnets, such as those made of soft iron, only become magnetic when in the presence of a strong magnetic field. Electromagnets are created by running electricity through a wire wrapped around a metal core, and can be turned on and off.

4. What are the uses of magnets?

Magnets have a wide range of uses, including in everyday items such as refrigerator magnets and magnetic clips. They are also used in motors, generators, speakers, and credit cards. In the medical field, magnets are used in MRI machines to produce detailed images of the body. Additionally, magnets are used in industries such as aerospace, energy, and transportation.

5. Are there any safety precautions to take when handling magnets?

Yes, there are some safety precautions to take when handling magnets. Strong magnets can be dangerous if they are swallowed or if they come too close to electronic devices. It is important to keep magnets away from small children and to handle them carefully to avoid injury. Additionally, it is important to keep magnets away from credit cards, computer hard drives, and other sensitive electronic devices.