Question re Galaxy Rotation Curve

In summary, the conversation discusses the shape of the "Expected from visible disk" curve in the diagram from Wikipedia, which shows the rotation curve of a galaxy. The formula for orbital velocity based on Newtonian mechanics does not match the curve, as it only applies outside the mass distribution of the galaxy. The discussion then delves into the theory behind the distribution of baryonic mass in a spiral galaxy and how it affects the gravitational acceleration and velocity of a test particle. The conversation ends with a request for references on calculating the gravitational acceleration based on the distribution of baryonic mass.
Buzz Bloom
Gold Member
The diagram below is from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galaxy_rotation_curve .

GalaxyVelocityDistribution.PNG

I would much appreciate a derivation explaining the shape of the "Expected from visible disk" curve in the diagram. Naively, based on Newtonian mechanics for the orbital velocity of a circular orbit,
V = √GM/R ∝ 1/R1/2 .​
Obviously, this is not the shape of the diagram curve. I suppose the diagram curve towards the right might be close to the above formula, but what is the derivation for the shape of the left part of the curve?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
The formula you quote is only valid outside the mass distribution (assumed spherically symmetric). In a galaxy, the stars are orbiting inside the mass distribution itself (they are part of it!).

Orodruin said:
The formula you quote is only valid outside the mass distribution (assumed spherically symmetric). In a galaxy, the stars are orbiting inside the mass distribution itself (they are part of it!).
Hi @Orodruin:

Thanks for your post. I apologize for being vague in specifying the information I was seeking.

I interpret your quote as implying that projected onto the primary plane of a spiral galaxy, the "disk" is assumed to have a 2D radially symmetric distribution of baryonic mass, including star mass, dust, and gas, say ρb(R). Then the mass M(R) for r < R is
M(R) = ∫0R π r ρb(r) dr .​
The total mass of the baryonic matter in the galaxy would then be M(∞).

Q1: Is there some theory that produces a calculation of the function ρb(R) given M(∞)? If so, what is it, and what is this function ρb(R) that the theory produces?
I have tried to find the answer to this on the internet, but, if it is there, my research skills are inadequate to find it.

Given ρb(R), I know how to write down a complicated integral for the value of the gravitational acceleration Ab(R) of a test particle at radius R based on this distribution. I am guessing that to calculate the function of V(R) for the lower curve in the diagram, it would be first necessary to calculate the value of this integral Ab(R). Then V(r) = √Ab(R)/R.

Q2: Please cite a reference, if you know of one, that shows the calculation of Ab(R) given ρb(R).

Regards,
Buzz

CORRECTIONS

M(R) = ∫0R 2 π r ρb(r) dr

V(R) = √(Ab(R)/R)​

ADDITION

Here is the integral form of Ab(R).
Ab(R) = (G/2π) ∫0R ρb(r) ∫0 [(r-R cos θ)/(R2+r2-2 r R cos θ)3/2] dθ dr​

Last edited:

1. What is a galaxy rotation curve?

A galaxy rotation curve is a graph that shows the rotational velocity of stars and gas in a galaxy as a function of their distance from the center. It is typically plotted using the rotation velocity on the y-axis and the distance from the center on the x-axis.

2. Why is the study of galaxy rotation curves important?

Studying galaxy rotation curves is important because it can help us understand the distribution of mass within galaxies. This can provide insights into the nature of dark matter, which is believed to make up a large portion of the mass in galaxies.

3. What does a typical galaxy rotation curve look like?

A typical galaxy rotation curve has a flat or slowly rising portion at the center, followed by a decline at larger distances. This is unexpected based on the laws of gravity and suggests the presence of unseen mass, such as dark matter.

4. How do scientists measure galaxy rotation curves?

Scientists measure galaxy rotation curves by observing the Doppler shift of spectral lines from stars and gas in the galaxy. This allows them to determine the rotational velocity of objects at different distances from the center.

5. What can galaxy rotation curves tell us about the evolution of galaxies?

Galaxy rotation curves can provide insights into the formation and evolution of galaxies. By studying the rotation curves of different types of galaxies, scientists can better understand how they have evolved over time and the role that dark matter has played in their development.