1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question regarding a two-lens system

1. Mar 4, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Two converging lenses, each of focal length 15 cm, are placed 20 cm apart, and an object is placed 30 cm in front of the first. Where is the final image formed and what is the magnification of the system?

2. Relevant equations
    Mtot = M1 * M2
    (1/f) = 1/do + 1/di

3. The attempt at a solution

Okay, I was able to find the image distance would be 30 cm, but I have no idea how that would happen if the lenses are 20 cm apart. When drawing the ray diagram, the rays touch the second lens before converging, so I don't know where to go from there. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 4, 2016 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

One way is to take the image that would be formed by the first lens and treat it as the source object for the second lens. You just have to be careful about which side the final image will be.

4. Mar 4, 2016 #3

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You can take that image as object of the second lens. As it is behind the second lens, take the object distance negative.

5. Mar 5, 2016 #4
    @ehild @haruspex So the first image would go straight through the second lens and be 10 cm behind it, then be the object of the second lens?

6. Mar 5, 2016 #5

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Yes.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted