1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question regarding Elastic Potential Energy

1. Jul 6, 2006 #1
    Hey guys ,
    I got another question , here goes :

A particle P of mass m is attached to one end of a light elastic string of natural length l whose other end is atached to a point A on a ceiling. When P hangs in equilibrium AP has legth 5/3l. Show that if P is projected vertically downwards from A with speed *squareroot*3gl/2 , P will first come to instantaneous rest after moving a distance of 10l/3 .

What confuses me , is the distance moved . Does it include the natural length or not ? Please show me the proof :biggrin: ... Geeez ... thanks :shy:
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 6, 2006 #2
    hmmm .... no one ? I just need to know does the distance includes the natural length =) Can anyone tell me please ?
  4. Jul 6, 2006 #3

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The question says that it is projected vertically from A which is the point where the string is attached. So the distance includes the length at rest of the string.
  5. Jul 6, 2006 #4
    ahhh , got it .... i'm confuse before that lol . thanks = )
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?