1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question regarding fields of Mathematics/Physics

1. Oct 1, 2011 #1
    Hello everyone, new here to these forums. I have a question that I have been thinking over in my head for some time now.

I am an Undergraduate Student working on my Major in Applied Mathematics and Minor in Physics. My goal is to move on to graduate school, but over the course of my undergrad work I have found that I no longer want to do mathematics, I want to go into Physics for my graduate work.

I feel though that admission into graduate school will depend a lot upon the work i do in Undergrad. What sort of things do you guys suggest I might want to look into that could improve my chances into getting into a Physics Program?

Basically I want to know what things in Mathematics might transfer best into physics. Of course I know that they are so similar. What types of research would you suggest that I look into? Im really interested in Quantum Mechanics, but I am just barely getting into it and I know so little. What mathematics could help me better improve my understanding and expertise in the field?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 2, 2011 #2
    For QM, Linear Algebra, PDE and complex variables will be helpful.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook