Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question regarding fields of Mathematics/Physics

1. Oct 1, 2011 #1
    Hello everyone, new here to these forums. I have a question that I have been thinking over in my head for some time now.

I am an Undergraduate Student working on my Major in Applied Mathematics and Minor in Physics. My goal is to move on to graduate school, but over the course of my undergrad work I have found that I no longer want to do mathematics, I want to go into Physics for my graduate work.

I feel though that admission into graduate school will depend a lot upon the work i do in Undergrad. What sort of things do you guys suggest I might want to look into that could improve my chances into getting into a Physics Program?

Basically I want to know what things in Mathematics might transfer best into physics. Of course I know that they are so similar. What types of research would you suggest that I look into? Im really interested in Quantum Mechanics, but I am just barely getting into it and I know so little. What mathematics could help me better improve my understanding and expertise in the field?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 2, 2011 #2
    For QM, Linear Algebra, PDE and complex variables will be helpful.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook