Question regarding iteration and operations

• Thread starter Nano-Passion
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Operations
In summary: Suppose we have a set of numbers and we want to divide them into thirds. 1, 3, 5We could divide 1 into thirds as 3, and then divide 3 into thirds as 5. But what if we wanted to divide 5 into thirds? We could just keep dividing 5 by 3 until we get a repeating pattern.In summary, the Riemann Sum can be used for addition and subtraction, and there is an iteration of multiplication by using exponents. However, there is no framework for repeated division as Char mentioned.
Nano-Passion
Just wanted to clarify..

The operation of the Riemann Sum is addition. It can also be used to signify subtraction by adding negative numbers. We also have an iteration of multiplication by using exponents. For example, 2^3 = 2 * 2 * 2. But even then the complexity doesn't reach to that accomplished behind the formalism of the Riemann Sum.

I was thinking.. do we have something akin to the Riemman sum for the operation of division? I know it is tempting to say negative exponents, but is there research regarding the notation akin to the complexity reached by the Riemann sum?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
...are you and I thinking about the same Riemann Sum?

As hard as I tried, I couldn't make sense of your post. :confused:

Sorry, I don't mean the same Riemann Sum used for practical purposes [finding the area of something.] I was talking about something more abstract and with less practical importance; That is to use iteration of multiplication or division instead of iteration of additions.

Again, this has nothing to do with the Riemann Integral.

Did that clear things up?

Well, you ask about division, but since division is really just inverse multiplication, you can do an iteration of division of numbers by just doing an iteration of reciprocals of those numbers. I think.

Char. Limit said:
Well, you ask about division, but since division is really just inverse multiplication, you can do an iteration of division of numbers by just doing an iteration of reciprocals of those numbers. I think.

Well I was wondering if there was any research behind this. I'm not speaking of a simple iteration, but something building up to the complexity and prowess of "summation formulas." Again, purely for abstract purposes. I can't think of any practical importance to this, which might explain if there was no work or effort behind this.

I still can't make much sense of your post. Are you referring to the product/sum of sequences? As Char said, you can always divide by multiplying by the inverse (if it exists). Perhaps by iterated you mean the double product of a sequence? Something else?

DivisionByZro said:
I still can't make much sense of your post. Are you referring to the product/sum of sequences? As Char said, you can always divide by multiplying by the inverse (if it exists). Perhaps by iterated you mean the double product of a sequence? Something else?

Iterated means to do something repeatedly. Iteration is the repetition of something.
I was wondering if someone ever researched the use of repeated division instead of repeated sum and put it into a rigorous framework such as Riemann once did. Let me give you an example:

Iteration from i = 1 to n

Ʃc = cn

Here in the most basic sense, the repeated addition can be simply thought of as multiplication. For example, 1(3) = 1+1+1

But here is where some complexity starts taking shape.

Ʃi = [itex]\frac{n(n+1)}{2}[/itex]

Here we have the addition of numbers increasing by one each time.

Now I was wondering if there was a framework for repeated division. Again, don't look at it from any practical application point of view. This is probably where the confusion stemmed.

1. What is iteration and how does it relate to operations in science?

Iteration in science refers to the process of repeating a set of steps or procedures in order to achieve a desired outcome or result. It involves continuously refining and improving upon a set of operations until a satisfactory result is obtained. In science, iteration is often used to test and refine hypotheses and experiments.

2. Can you give an example of how iteration is used in scientific research?

One example of iteration in scientific research is the process of drug development. Scientists may start with a potential drug candidate and test it on cells in a lab. Based on the results, they may make adjustments to the drug's structure or composition and test it again. This process continues until a safe and effective drug is developed.

3. How does iteration contribute to the accuracy and reliability of scientific findings?

Iteration allows scientists to continuously refine and improve their methods and experiments, leading to more accurate and reliable results. By repeating the same steps and procedures, scientists can identify and eliminate any potential sources of error, leading to more robust and trustworthy findings.

4. Are there any drawbacks to using iteration in scientific research?

One potential drawback of iteration in scientific research is that it can be time-consuming and costly. Running multiple iterations of experiments and tests can require a significant amount of resources and may prolong the research process. Additionally, if iterations are not carefully planned and executed, they can lead to biased results.

5. How can scientists ensure that iterations are conducted effectively in their research?

To ensure that iterations are conducted effectively in scientific research, scientists should carefully plan and document each iteration. This includes clearly defining the purpose and parameters of each iteration, as well as recording any changes or adjustments made during the process. Additionally, scientists should carefully analyze the results of each iteration to determine if further iterations are necessary or if the desired outcome has been achieved.