1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question regarding Master's Degree in Math

1. Sep 28, 2009 #1
    So, I'm currently attending the University of Kansas as a Graduate Students in the combined M.A./Ph.D program. Essentially, we have the option of stopping once we get a Master's Degree if we choose, which is what I'm currently leaning towards at the moment.

My question also falls under the category of Career Guidance too:

What can you do with a Master's Degree in Mathematics
    More specifically, what can you do with a Master's Degree in Statistics, which is where I'm currently leaning.

I've heard of "biostatistics," however I'm not sure I'd be qualified, as I absolutely hate biology and don't know the first thing about it...

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 28, 2009 #2
    How can you hate something you don't know anything about?

4. Sep 28, 2009 #3
    Let me clarify...
    Before I was a math major as an undergraduate, I was a pharmacy major, and I took two biology courses, namely Evolutionary Biology and Cell Biology and absolutely hated both courses. So, although my knowledge is fairly miniscule when it comes to biology, my experience with it has not been good thus far... But I'm wondering if biostats is more mathematical than anything else, however do I need to have a substantial understanding of biology to be a good biostatistician?

5. Sep 28, 2009 #4
    If you want to work in the sciences, you need knowledge in a physical subject. You are a PhD student - why don't you check with professors there who are solving physical problems using mathematics?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook