Question regarding math schools

• Thread starter Miike012
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Schools
In summary, the difference between getting a math degree at Arizona State University or MIT may not seem significant to undergraduate students, but it becomes more important for graduate students. While both universities may offer similar undergraduate programs, the difference in professors and students at MIT may lead to a more efficient and advanced learning experience. Additionally, the "give and take" between students at MIT may also contribute to a higher level of learning.
Miike012
I was always curious, what is the difference between getting a math degree at Arizona State University or MIT?
In the long run, won't a person from MIT or ASU learn the same things in the long run? Or no?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Connections, professor prestige, research possibilities. Other than that, undergraduate programs are pretty much the same.

I do not entirely agree. First, "professor prestige" is not just "prestige"- they really are better professors. But not necessarily better at teaching. The difference between professors at M.I.T. and, say Arizona State University, is much more important to graduate students than to undergraduates.

But the difference in students is very important. The fact that the students are more highly selected means that more of them are able to grasp concepts more quickly and the class does not have to spend more time on the same subjects. Also the "give and take" between students in classes is very important to learning- and that will be of a much higher level at M.I.T. than at A.S.U.

(Of course, A.S.U.'s football team is better!)

1. What is the best math school?

The best math school is subjective and depends on individual preferences and goals. Some top-ranked math schools include Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Harvard University, and Stanford University.

2. How do I choose the right math school?

When choosing a math school, consider factors such as the school's curriculum, research opportunities, faculty, location, and resources available for math students. It is also important to visit the campus and talk to current students to get a feel for the school's culture and community.

3. What kind of careers can I pursue after attending a math school?

Attending a math school can lead to a variety of career paths, such as working as a mathematician, statistician, data analyst, actuary, or teacher. Math skills are also valuable in fields such as finance, engineering, and computer science.

4. Is it necessary to attend a math school to have a successful career in math?

No, attending a math school is not necessary for a successful career in math. Many successful mathematicians and professionals in math-related fields have degrees from other universities. However, attending a math school can provide specialized training and opportunities for students interested in pursuing math as a career.

5. Are there any scholarships or financial aid available for attending a math school?

Yes, many math schools offer scholarships and financial aid for students who demonstrate financial need or academic excellence. It is important to research and apply for these opportunities early in the application process. Additionally, external organizations and companies may also offer scholarships specifically for students studying math.