Question regarding negative atomic numbers.

In summary, the conversation revolves around the possibility of negative atomic numbers and their implications in a science fiction story. The speaker mentions element-zero in the mass effect universe and how it has affected FTL travel and other technologies. They also discuss the concept of negative mass and how it could be incorporated into their story. Ultimately, the conversation encourages the use of creativity to explore and imagine the properties and effects of negative elements.
daximusprimus
Hello my name is Dax, I'm currently in the world building stage of a science fiction I am writing and I came here to bounce some questions off of you fine people.

My question is regarding atomic numbers of elements on the periodic table and weather it could be possible that negative atomic numbers exist and what the speculative implications these negative elements would have on the universe, technology and humanity in general?

I already know about element-zero in the mass effect universe and some of the implications that has had on FTL travel and a few other sci-fi technologies. Hopefully I can provoke some thought and maybe get a few more ideas for my story.
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
I see you're talking about negative mass. Considering that it is scientific fiction you can invent any properties you want for these elements. However, in reality, it is hard to imagine what it'd look like. I assume that if you throw a -2kg object at someone, the person will be pulled by the object, instead of being pushed? Would it have repulsive gravity?(probably yes) Use your creativity :)

cb

What are negative atomic numbers?

Negative atomic numbers are a concept that is not recognized in traditional atomic theory. In the periodic table, each element is assigned a unique positive atomic number which represents the number of protons in the nucleus of that element. Negative atomic numbers would imply the existence of negative protons, which is not supported by current scientific evidence.

Can elements have negative atomic numbers?

No, elements cannot have negative atomic numbers. As mentioned, atomic numbers are strictly defined as positive integers that represent the number of protons in an element's nucleus. The concept of negative atomic numbers is not accepted in mainstream scientific understanding.

What is the significance of negative atomic numbers?

Negative atomic numbers have no scientific significance or basis. They may be used in certain theoretical models or thought experiments, but they do not have any real-world application or meaning in terms of atomic structure or behavior.

Are there any elements with negative atomic numbers?

No, there are no known elements with negative atomic numbers. All elements in the periodic table have positive atomic numbers, ranging from 1 to 118.

Why do some sources mention negative atomic numbers?

Some sources may mention negative atomic numbers as a hypothetical concept or as a way to explain certain theoretical concepts. However, it is important to note that this is not a scientifically accepted concept and should not be taken as fact.