Question: Regarding Stellar Spectroscopy Equipment.

In summary, the speaker is a new member of a forum and is working on a seminar about deep space spectroscopy as an applied physics student. They are using an SBIG ST-7 camera and DSS-7 spectrograph, and have been conducting calibration studies with element lamps to gather reference spectra. However, when using Ccdops ver. 5, the spectra appears shifted to the far left and the red wavelengths are not visible. The speaker is seeking suggestions on how to align the spectra with this equipment. A suggestion is made to contact SBIG for assistance.
Jahne7
Hi, I am new to this forum but I am an applied physics student and I'm working on a seminar on deep space spectroscopy. My question is actually on the equipment being used for my research.
I am using an SBIG ST-7 camera with a DSS-7 spectrograph and I've been running calibration studies with element lamps to gather reference spectra for elements such as Argon, Helium, etc.. However when I capture the spectra with Ccdops ver. 5, the spectra is shifted to the far left (i.e. the "blue" wavelengths appear at the right hand side of the spectra) and from the middle to the left is all dark space so I'm not seeing any of the "red" wavelengths.

I was curious to see if anyone had any suggestions on how to align the spectra with this equipment so I can view all of the spectra.

All suggestions are appreciated!

Astronomy news on Phys.org
I would suggest contacting SBIG themselves. They should be able to help you figure this out.

1. What is stellar spectroscopy equipment used for?

Stellar spectroscopy equipment is used to study the light emitted from stars. This allows scientists to analyze the chemical composition, temperature, and velocity of stars, as well as their distance from Earth.

2. What types of instruments are included in stellar spectroscopy equipment?

Stellar spectroscopy equipment typically includes a telescope, a spectrograph, and a detector. Some instruments may also include filters, collimators, and other specialized components.

3. How does stellar spectroscopy work?

Stellar spectroscopy works by breaking down the light from a star into its component colors, or wavelengths. This creates a unique spectrum that can be used to identify elements present in the star and determine other characteristics such as temperature and velocity.

4. What is the importance of using stellar spectroscopy equipment?

The use of stellar spectroscopy equipment is crucial in advancing our understanding of the universe. By studying the light emitted from stars, scientists can learn more about the origins of the universe, the chemistry of stars, and the processes that drive stellar evolution.

5. Are there any limitations to using stellar spectroscopy equipment?

Like any scientific instrument, there are limitations to what can be observed and measured using stellar spectroscopy equipment. Factors such as atmospheric conditions, instrument sensitivity, and the distance of the star being observed can affect the accuracy and precision of the data collected.