Question UV plastic and rubber

In summary, the conversation discusses the potential damage that UV light can cause to the ABS plastic and rubber parts of a PS2 Slim 90000, especially when exposed to sunlight. The speaker mentions that most plastics have UV-resistant additives and that indirect sunlight may not cause significant damage. However, the door of the house being open and the type of light entering the house can also play a role. The conversation also touches upon the different types of UV radiation and how they can affect surfaces. The final suggestion is to cover the console with a thick cloth when not in use to protect it from potential damage.
gamer87
I have a PS2 Slim 90000 and its case is ABS plastic and it has rubber parts, this device is located on a wooden table, the lights with UV in my house and the sunlight coming into the house will dry out, crack and damage the ABS plastic and the rubber of this device? my house uses LED bulb

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Most plastics are mixed with UV resisting additives, I wouldn't worry about it if it isn't directly irradiated with sunlight for long periods of time

It is not directly in the sunlight but some light from indirect sunlight enters the houses and this light has UV that dries out the ABS plastic and the rubber used in these devices making them fragile and brittle? the door of the house is open it is not dark the clarit light of the sun, i have ps 2 slim 90000 and tvs crt

gamer87 said:
It is not directly in the sunlight but some light from indirect sunlight enters the houses and this light has UV that dries out the ABS plastic and the rubber used in these devices making them fragile and brittle? the door of the house is open it is not dark the clarit light of the sun, i have ps 2 slim 90000 and tvs crt
I am sure the designers have considered normal uv exposure.

which designers? I don't have any information but UV is everywhere in the house

You are getting answers. Then not accepting them. Final word on the subject, using somewhat simplified terms.

UV is not just "one" kind of electromagnetic radiation. The kind that gets inside has to come though glass.
The types outside are called UVA, UVB, and (sometimes) UVC. UVA can get through window glass. Other types, no. UVA can damage finishes when the surface is in direct sun light. Is this clear to you?

Away from the window the risk almost non-existent. UVA is the least damaging type to surface finishes of the UV we have outside. UVB causes sunburn and really damages polymers in finishes. But. It does not get through window glass.

If you want to be very safe find a thick cloth cover and cover the console when not in use. Only in the case where you have direct sunlight on your device is this necessary.

And that concludes the thread.

Likes jim mcnamara

1. What is UV plastic and rubber?

UV plastic and rubber are materials that have been treated with a special coating or additive that makes them resistant to UV radiation from the sun. This helps to prevent them from becoming brittle, discolored, or degrading when exposed to sunlight.

2. How does UV protection work on plastic and rubber?

The UV protection on plastic and rubber works by absorbing or reflecting the UV radiation from the sun. This prevents the UV rays from penetrating the material and causing damage. The protection can be achieved through various methods such as adding UV stabilizers or using special coatings.

3. What are the benefits of using UV plastic and rubber?

The main benefit of using UV plastic and rubber is that it extends the lifespan of the material. By protecting it from UV radiation, it can withstand outdoor environments for longer periods without degrading or becoming brittle. This makes it a great choice for outdoor applications such as in construction or automotive industries.

4. Can UV plastic and rubber be recycled?

Yes, UV plastic and rubber can be recycled. However, the UV protection may affect the recyclability of the material. It is important to check with the manufacturer or recycling facility for proper disposal or recycling methods for UV treated materials.

5. How can I tell if a plastic or rubber product has UV protection?

Most products that have UV protection will have it clearly labeled or advertised. You can also check with the manufacturer or retailer to confirm if a product has UV protection. Additionally, you can look for signs of discoloration or brittleness on the material, as these are common signs of UV damage.